• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Your worst sample library purchase. Let's hear it people!

Share/Bookmark

Your worst sample library purchase. Let\'s hear it people!

Time for us all to spill the beans. We\'ve all purchased a library to only be severely po\'d by it. Some of us even vow to never buy blind again.

I realize other users may not have the same problems or experiences with these same libraries, but jeesh, what an interesting thread! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Heavy Guitars - S\'nuff said. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Topaz Drums - Works ok by itself, load it into any other setup, nothing works. It\'s been gathering dust since day 1.

Re: Your worst sample library purchase. Let\'s hear it people!

Danny Jeager private collection:
    bloody expensive at the time when I bought it for my EMU (and only being able to get it from the states meant paying importtax on it as well) and apart from a nice roomy drumset hampered by slow attacks/bad sample editing), the rest of the collection is pretty useless.
    Conexxion Strings: Had a demodisc of their strings which sounded quite nice; got the actual cd and it seemed that the rest of the strings were copies from the original akai and emu libraries that you get with your sampler for free.
    Presonus Prepared Piano (giga):
    I\'m not dissapointed with the content, which is great; some really nice eerie scrapes and ambiences that you wouldn\'t expect from a piano. It is more a size thing. For a full price library, 200 megs of samples isn\'t a whole lot, especially when they\'re single one shot samples.
    (Yes, it is a bit more than 200 megs because the developers have \'thoughtfully\' included a mono .gig file of the same samples. I guess that saves me from..erm...eh..setting my pancontrols to center on my mixing page..right)

The biggest problem with these kind of purchases is that you don\'t really have any way of auditioning the samples beforehand. My local sampledealer has some libs on demo, but his need to talk up everything I audition (doesn\'t this sound fabulous? Isn\'t it a great lib?) makes me weary of going there.
    Secondly he\'s been selling me \'promotional copies\' for full resale price, which I often didn\'t notice until I got back home. I\'m sure there\'s nothing different about them, but I don\'t think it\'s fair practice.

Cheers,

Joe

X-Sample Brass. Terrible short loopings. Im sure the original samples wern\'t that bad but the programming was very bad, imo.

Ed

Many things..

1) Travelogue #1
    Simply the worst sample cd I\'ve ever bought.
    It consists of some unusable loops recorded
    by a guy who happened to bring a dat player
    on his vication in africa. The result is a
    bunch of untimeable loops, sampled so far away
    you can actually hear the birds chirping and
    talking in the foreground better than the
    actual ethnic material.

2) Danny Jaeger\'s Private Collection
    Terrible unusable content. I never touch
    this cd. It\'s simply unforgivable to sell
    this cd at this outrageous price tag.

3) Synclavier Strings
    Two words. STAY AWAY. The sound
    quality is horrible and the selection of
    samples is very limited. The cd isn\'t even
    full.

Having said that, I have bought quite a lot
    of libraries that I\'m VERY happy with!
    Time for another topic? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Thomas

Sonic Reality\'s Interactive String Section. Short articulations in stereo, long articulation in mono. Almost every patch with a sour note.

The AO Strings volume has only the lite version of their solo strings, which doesn\'t even include pizz.

ANYTHING/EVERYTHING from Nicebytes bites, but most especially their \'orchestral\' CDs, which sound like bad synth imitations. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Most of the ProSample stuff. Many of the sample sets are quite playable, but just not enough to actually use. Steve Smith loops was far and away the most useful, and it lacks a lot of variety, plus no tempo notes, you have to tweak the sequencer to find the playback tempo.

Dasher

XSample Brass....it sounds relatively decent by itself but I have never been able to make it work in a mix. Keyboard magazine gave it a great review (which prompted me to buy it) but I have never really used it.

The French Horn is perhaps the closest thing to being usable.

New World Order - I needed some ethnic loops (I later purchased and still love Heart of Africa). NWO\'s sound quality is pretty bad, most of the samples seem taken from records and the type of recordings that you can find in your local library. Most of the stuff is in mono. There are some better sounding stuff, but overall I wish I could get my money back. Did I mention the documentation is horrible with virtually no tempo information?

Originally posted by Munsie:

Topaz Drums - Works ok by itself, load it into any other setup, nothing works. It\'s been gathering dust since day 1.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Munsie.

Sorry that you don\'t like the Topaz. Sounds like a strange problem! What do you mean by \"loading it into any other setup\"

Worra

hmmm.

I dont think I have a library I truely HATE!

I may hate parts of libraries, but I\'m a geek that kind find the good in most.

liek the nasty Creative Essentials stuff. Their like 25 bucks or so....so its ahrd to complain. I dont think I ever used any of them in an actual production, but the clarinet has some cool \"bends\"

and most know my prob with VR sounds tenor\'s programming. Still the tone is quite good....and lets face it....its me, so if I dont like the programming...I\'ll fix it [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Brass Super section is pretty terrible tho, unless you choose a side of the stereo \"ensemble\" files, then you get a solo instrument thats actually pretty usable. The bass Trombone is pretty nice and FFF too.

I used to hate alot of ethno world, but then delved into it a lil\' more and its actually pretty nice in alot of the areas I used to hate it (woodwinds). Tho the demo is a bit \"too good\".

Bob Clearmountain Drums 2. This one I\'ve only used once, and thinkits over rated and over priced. but there are some neat sounds......I guess [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I think those aremy \"worst\".

Remember tho. I rarely take anything \"out of the box\"

Except for maybe RI\'s Taikos which are freakin awesome [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] (Tho I like tweaking those too), oh and Michiel Post\'s Harpsichords. RAWK! Those are probably my two favorite \"out of the box\" patches I have.......ok way oposite topic [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hiya,

Legend of China: But then this is because I really didn\'t have a clue back then what a true sample library is.

Back in Ice Age, I used to think sample CDs are a whole bunch of audio CDs (or Wav or Aiff format CDs) and that the programming has to be done by the user. So I spent a lot of time extracting, editing and programming the samples on said CD into EXS24 until I got so p*#ssed off and found out there is actually GigaStudio.

Since then I have AO, Smart Violins, Pro Samples 17-19, Max Strength Steel, GigaHarp, GigaPiano, Conexant500 and Pure Guitars which I am totally happy with... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

meeehoon

Go Back to forum