• Register
  • Help

Topic: Some questions about composing hollywood style music...

Re: Some questions about composing hollywood style music...

You can start by attending some orchestral concerts and taking note of where the various sections sit. This will give you clues as to how to pan the various sections. The seating arrangements are standard for 19th and early 20th century music....which is what much film scoring is based.

The Miroslav sampled string sections are already pre-panned to the proper place, for the most part, when you use stereo.

As far as the rest of your quest, it is a difficult task to become self-taught in areas of orchestration and arranging. Although, as someone with a degree in music, I can state my opinion that creative composing is something that CAN\'T be taught, anymore than creative writing or any other creative task. The best that can happen is to be guided by someone, but ultimately good composing can\'t be taught.

That being said, there are many issues of compositional and orchestrating craft that can be taught. And it is generally more time efficient to get that training from a music school.

good luck with your pursuits.

Yes I have the orchestral setting chart, but the panning seems rather tricky. Though I suppose I will just continue to mess with it until I get it right. Well thanks for the response.

To get a good sound, panning is only part of process; it is also important to get a good sense of distance between the instruments. This is achieved by setting various dry/wet reverb levels for the various instruments. For example:
    -1st and 2nd violins are quite close, so you might give them a 75/25 dry/wet setting.
    -Horns are further to the back, so you might try a 60/40 or 50/50 setting.

I usually add a delay to one channel of stereosound to get some more space; I do this by recording a track, and then using a sample-delay plugin on the recorded audiotrack to offset one channel 50-150 samples.

However, one thing to note is that orchestra\'s don\'t usually sound like they do on a soundtrack record. A lot of mixing and production goes into it to make it sound that way; so don\'t expect your samples or mix to sound like that straight away.
    Compose your music, record your tracks individually and mix them afterwards. This gives you more control over the overall sound.

Hope that helps,

Thanks for the tips Joris I will keep them in mind.

Some questions about composing hollywood style music...

Ok my first and foremost intention of composing music is to try and get that beautiful sound like James Horner does so well (though it will take years and I realize this). Well first off I want to start by asking someone what they would use for default panning and volume settings for the instruments listed below. You see I wouldn\'t ask if I knew the rules about composing and music theory but I have no idea about it and I have never had musical training either:

Violins section 1
    Violins section 2
    F horns
    Snare drums

If anyone would please help me with this I would be very appreciative.

Thanks in advance

Go Back to forum