• Register
  • Help

Topic: Farewell to Yucatan

Share/Bookmark

Farewell to Yucatan

A short piece, GPO4 and Sonatina 1&2 violins.
    Thanks to listeners, revised second time. Please forgive this old (87) fool.

https://app.box.com/s/kksfr4pz5g5s4v1kyrto
    Last edited by tedvanya; 05-16-2014 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Old fool:me

Re: Farewell to Yucatan

Very pretty but a little sad.

Thank you for sharing your feelings with this music.

Phil

Hi ted,

I've listened twice.It's soooo beautiful and catching. I love the melancholic atmosphere and the natural rubato feel of the theme. A very balanced orchestration as well! Nice rendition. Only superlatives for the composition, orchestration and recording.

If I may be naughty a couple of small remarks. The main balance is pretty much to the right. Second: the bassoon starts at about 1' and plays totally out of the orchestra, as if the player were in the audience. Did you forget the convolution for the bassoon? Or is it another library not adapted to your overall reverb settings?

These trifle remarks don't diminish in any way the beauty of the piece. It was a pure joy to be in your audience in the first row.

Thanks for sharing such pure emotions.

Max

Hello Ted!

Right from the start, I really enjoyed this piece! Certainly melancholy, but it had no trouble catching my attention immediately. I agree with Max's remarks about the bassoon sounding a bit close, but it certainly did not diminish the quality of the composition at all!

The ending is very soothing as well, very nice to end on an uplifting note (so-to-speak).

Thanks for sharing this wonderful work!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Max:

Thanks for the kind comments.
    I do not wish you to suffer through again, but I changed the piece, because of your advise.
    That is the greatness of your reply to posts, you help and gently criticize, and that is what we need.
    Thanks again, and if you can, listen again....

Ted

Ted,

Max's criticisms seem to be corrected but I noticed there are two minutes of silence at the end that could be cut.

Phil

Wonderful, Ted.

Now the main volume is situated to the left, little in the center and now an then something happens in the right (from the point of view of the audience). The bassoon is OK.

Have you normalised the recording when it was finished? That will bring up the overall volume to the maximum without clipping, with respect for the dynamic variations.

You can do that (and cutting off the silence part) with a free tool: Audacity.

Again a warm bravissimo.

Max

Go Back to forum