• Register
  • Help

Topic: Converting AKAI CDs to gig with programs using the same samples

Share/Bookmark

Converting AKAI CDs to gig with programs using the same samples

I\'m using Gigastudio with a large Akai
    library and Gigastudio supports to convert to AKAI with S-Convert well, but there is one BIG problem in S-Convert:
    Many Akai programs use the same wavesample but Gigastudio is not smart enough to use the same sample in multiple programs, therefore, it saves the wavesample all over again making your average 600 MB Akai CD well
    over 2.5 GB in gig format on my hd. Any suggestions around this problem?
    Is nemesys planning to implement this feature which could save me thousands of megabytes of harddisc space?
    I think this could be a good point for all sampler users to buy Gigastudio. Not everyone can afford to buy his existing
    Akai library in gig format.

Re: Converting AKAI CDs to gig with programs using the same samples

I\'ve also complained about this. Make yourself heard and email the Nemesys guys.

How about the fact that unless you get into the \'multiple instruments\' style of saving, every time you save an instrument with a slightly different envelope - it saves the whole dang set of samples again as well!

That means that your 1.5 gb piano sound sits in ONE place on the hard disk and your 1.5 gb piano sound with a slightly brighter filter sits in ANOTHER place altogether - taking up 3 gb between the two of them, when all you want is the same samples with some minor case editing!!!!!!!

If you convert each Akai program as a separate gig, then combine them in the Editor, the wavs will not be duplicated, provided that the samples and sample pool have the same names. Besides, the programs you want to combine might have slightly different key mapping, which you can correct before you combine them.

Chadwick, That’s what Articulation files are for… to just save the slight differences. Or, create multiple instruments in the same gig file.

Yes, I don\'t understand what you have against saving multiple instruments. One thing you could try is saving different variations as different BANKS within the same file... different banks are then different variations on the same instrument, but the program change # stays constant.

I think I just need the process spelled out in a simple \'IQ below 45\' manner.

I haven\'t had a great time reading the context help manual.

Promise to try harder though

Multiple Instrument:
    Best for when you are actively using variations of an existing gig file.

-Open gig in Editor
    -Hi light the instrument, and press Ctrl-C to copy to clip board
    -Press Ctrl-V to copy from clip board
    -Click OK to accept new patch number
    -Rename and make all you edits to the new instrument.
    -Save gig file

Save Articulation:
    Best for when you are making a one time save. For instance, when you change the programming of a commercial library to suite your needs, you can make a backup of the articulation files instead of the entire library.

-Open gig in Editor
    -Make all you edits to the new instrument.
    -From the file menu, choose ‘Save articulation file…’

Hope this helps...

This is the type of problem that creates the need for 3rd party translators such as Translator:

If the programs you are referring to are in a seperate Akai Volume, then yes, you have a problem, and that is best solved by the suggestions already made. However, if the programs are in the same Volume, Translator can translate the Volume into one single .file. Each Program will translate into one Giga Instrument within that file, thus reducing any redundancy.

BTW, this feature is exclusive to Translator - CDXtract does the same replication of files.

Going further, it is a semi-constant topic \"why does my 650mb Roland/Akai CD-ROM take up x-gigs of space on my hard drive after I am done converting?\" at Chicken Systems. Our response is that 1) If you have Giga, have lot\'s of room anyway - but more importantly 2) certain translations need to be bundled, yes, such as the example above. But even translating a Akai Partition, or possibly even a Roland Volume, makes for a rather bulky .gig file.

If you have a 64meg .gig file, and you try to edit a parameter or two, the resave is quite subbstantial. Also, working with it in the editor is slower than a sleek smaller file. Of course, some of these issues can be rectified by using the articulation files - yes.

Good topic.

------------------
    Garth Hjelte
    Chicken Systems Customer Support
    Home of \"Translator\"

Go Back to forum