• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: My Rhodes Demo!!!

My Rhodes Demo!!!

Greetings Everyone,
    Ive finally completed the initial recording/editing/programming of my Fender Rhodes MKI Stage Piano...If anyone is interested...I\'ve posted my first demo...its being hosted on the FenderRhodes.org site...
    The goal for this project was to capture the subtle idiosyncracies of a warm tube driven Rhodes...I was shooting for a realy mellow warm sound...much in the vein of those great Vince Guaraldi recordings...
    Each note was sampled with 5-6 velocity layers...2-3 release samples per note...I think I need to still work on the velocity scaling...as you\'ll probably hear in the demo...some notes stick out...but over all...I think I now have on my hands the most realistic Rhodes sample (especially if you\'re like that warm smooth Rhodes sound)...it may not be everyone\'s cup of tea...but I\'m rather partial to it!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

So...give a listen....see what ya think....and...if you\'re feeling ambitious(sic)...give me some feedback on things to improve improve upon!

It can be found here:

Take care everyone!

Re: My Rhodes Demo!!!

Sounds great! very authentic sounding. Congratulations.

Thanks Thomas...I appreciate your comments!!!

Yeah, it sounds great! It\'s very intimate and warm.
    BTW if you want to send me an e-mail my address is midphase@hotmail.com I\'m in Orlando also! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

The samples sound good J.P.
    Well, to be honest, The samples sound good, but in a very mono way if you get what i\'m trying to say. They seem a bit distant which can be good.

Also, what was your recording chain ?
    Did you sample with a mic , through the line input, what gear did you use.

Vintaudio Prod.

I understand completely what you mean about it sounding distant...but you have to understand..THAT was the sound I was going for...I wanted that mellow smooth \'distant\' sound...all the Rhodes Samples that are currently out...sound too clean...too upfront...too inauthentic...anyone thats ever played a Rhodes can attest to that! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I was hoping to capture the sound of a stage piano actually being played through a tube amp...in the vein of Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock...less bell overtones...more deep mellow softness! (if that makes sense)
    Which leads me to your question about the recording process...Instead of directly recording D.I. from the harp preamp(which is what most developers try to do)...I ran the Stage into a 1994 Fender Blues Deville 4x10...then mic\'ed the amp...the result is a much more accurate \'image\' of the Rhodes...granted its not the cleanest sample in the world....BUT ONCE AGAIN...THAT IS THE POINT...a genuine...VINTAGE well \'tweaked\' rhodes...
    In terms of gear that I used...very basic but efficient setup...Shure SM-57 (perfect for mic\'ing my amp)...ART Studio MP...which provided a tiny bit of tube compression.

Keep the comments coming (GOOD OR BAD!!!)...I really appreciate the feedback this forum provides!

This sounds very nice and authentic and the release samples are perfect [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] actually i think i could be fooled to belive this was a real fender rhodesif you just put some ridecymbal on it hehe

haha...thanks for the compliment Tobias...I\'ll consider those sizzlin\' rides for the next demo!!!

I am most beholden everyone! Love the feedback!

Thank you Mid!!!
    Does anyone have any suggestions in terms of things they hear need improving...obviously this would include programming flaws that are noticeable from the demo. As I said before, I think some of the velocity switches need tightening up...I would love to get some more feedback!

Thanks everyone!

Hi J.P., well i\'m glad that was the sound you\'re looking for, hope you enjoy your rhodes GIG. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

However if you were ever gonna think of selling it commercially, and now that you know how to sample it, i would go out and rent a decent preamp, Presonus Mp20 would be great i\'ll tell you why a bit later.

Now personally, (and i\'m thinking comercially now), the amp you\'re using is great, has loads of character and works well with a MK1. However the mic is decent but to really really capture the subtilities of a Rhodes you\'d need a different mic. Not a tube mic, you allready have the blues deville doing that for you, let\'s say for example an AT 4050 or Neuman TLM 103 or a mic in that category.

Now the Mp20 is great cause it has 2 inputs and it\'s not tube. One tube signal is enough in the recording chain, too much saturation is not a good thing.that\'s where i\'m getting at, it sounds too distant, distant is nice and gives that sound you\'re looking for but too much, in order to bring that back a little, i\'d sample the mic input and the instrument input of the Rhodes at the same time, blend those together to retain the distant character but add a little bit of presence, resample the whole thing with the detail you\'re putting into it and sell it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

And the fact you\'d have both the signal input and mic input you could make 2 GIGS, one MIC GIG and one INST. GIG. Then people could mix then any which way they\'d like closer or more distant. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Why am i telling you this ??? i should do it myself ! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Email me. info@vintaudio.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast