• Register
  • Help

Topic: Complete Ballet Suite by A.M. Grétry: La Rosière Républicaine

Share/Bookmark

Complete Ballet Suite by A.M. Grétry: La Rosière Républicaine

Dear friends,

Here is the complete series of dances in the ballet suite La Rosière Républicaine by the Belgian classic composer André Modest Grétry.

I've added the last dance (Carmagnole - Allegretto), which is usually played directly after "Pas de Trois" as one piece. It is the final of the suite. Again, I've made a choice in the given orchestration parts not to overdo the doublings.

All the dances have been set in the same 'recording room' with the same ambience now. Job finished... With gratitude to A.M. Grétry.

Enjoy the listen!

Max

Carmagnole (and the 6 other dances)

Re: Complete Ballet Suite by A.M. Grétry: La Rosière Républicaine

Hello Max!

I'm surprised to see I am the first to comment on the last part of your reconstruction of Grétry's work! This is fantastic! Your recording does a remarkable job at preserving the energy and brightness of the piece from start to finish. It would've been great if he had written something a bit longer, I would've loved to hear a more extended version of this dance!

Very nice work, thanks for sharing this Ballet!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Danke schön, Michael.

I guess most people on the forum think that I'm continuously posting the same piece... Never mind, those who want to listen are really welcome to do so. Of course it's always a pleasure to read some constructive comments, we all could learn a lot from each other.
    Alas, Grétry didn't write the ballet suite in his opera. I have the entire manuscript of La Rosière Républicaine, but only the Dance Générale is included as a vocal piece and introductory music (with comment: "Tout le monde danse" - everyone dances now). I guess the ballet music was written afterwards as some kind of entr'acte, short pieces to entertain the waiting audience while changing the stage. Dances usually have many repeats which I have left out here.
    The Carmagnole is the final and the only piece with percussion.

It's fine to have you in my audience!

Max

Just finished to listen to the entire suite now.

Max, your control over your sampled ensemble is now firm and authoritative —
    not to mention how your knowledge of actual performance techniques makes these pieces
    enjoyable for the common listener and accurate for the connoisseur.

Any Indes Galantes on the go?
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Quote Originally Posted by fabiolcati View Post
    Just finished to listen to the entire suite now.

Max, your control over your sampled ensemble is now firm and authoritative —
    not to mention how your knowledge of actual performance techniques makes these pieces
    enjoyable for the common listener and accurate for the connoisseur.

Any Indes Galantes on the go?
    Thanks, Fabio. And about the Indes Galantes (Rameau): I do love the suite and actually all the Rameau theatre compositions, but for now, the only 'classic' goal i have is the overture to the opera buffa La Rosière Républicaine. In the same style, a somewhat extended opera orchestra, an anthology of the main character pieces in the opera. Maybe... There's so many things I would want to do...

Max

Go Back to forum