• Help

Topic: Cakewalk and Gigasampler help!

Share/Bookmark

Cakewalk and Gigasampler help!

Here\'s my situation:
    -Cakewalk Pro 9
    -Gigasampler
    -MIDI keyboard controller
    -SB Live sound card (not that good, I know)

I\'m able to load sounds into Gigasampler and play them with my keyboard, but what I want to know is - How do I record what I\'m playing, into Cakewalk? I want to be able to you know, do the usual - play back my current tracks in Cakewalk, while I play Gigasampler sounds, and record those into Cakewalk also.

I know Cakewalk very well but I still don\'t know how to configure Cakewalk and Gigasampler to be setup properly for recording.

And no, I didn\'t buy the Cakewalk Pro Suite, I bought them seperately.

Help!

Thanks.

------------------
    fade
    ----------------
    check me out @
    www.illmuzik.com

Re: Cakewalk and Gigasampler help!

I know Cakewalk very well but I still don\'t know how to configure Cakewalk and Gigasampler to be setup properly for recording.

It\'s fairly simple. All you have to do is create two audio tracks in Cakewalk (one for Left channel, the other for Right) Arm both tracks and hit \'R\' for record - done.. Cakewalk will record whatever you\'re hearing thru your monitors or headphones, all in sync. If you find your system is struggling to handle playback on gigasampler, playback of audio tracks in Cakewalk and the recording of everything simutaneously then you will have to isolate tracks in groups and record them indivisualy. Later you can mix everything at your convenience.

Regards,
    F. Juma.

[This message has been edited by Gulliver (edited 12-13-2000).]

You can use Gigasampler just like you would an outboard keyboard. It installs an extra port when installed. Go into Options, Midi Devices and make sure the Output port for Gigasampler has been highlighted. Then click okay. The port will be available in the Port column in the main screen. At this point you would treat it as any outboard MIDI instrument by picking Channel, Pan, Vol, etc.

Mixing down the sounds after you create your MIDI sequences will depend on your setup.

But if I just record like that, the tracks that I\'ve already recorded (and are being played back) will also be recorded with what I\'m playing.

How can I play back my current tracks while I\'m recording my performance, without my current tracks getting picked up also?

Thanks.

It\'s easy. Just use Capture To Wav in Gigastudio. Set it to wait for Midi. Then, start playback in Cakewalk. Giga will record a stereo wav of it\'s output. When you\'re done, go back to Cakewalk and say Edit - Import Wav File and insert the Giga file onto a new track. If you don\'t set the capture to wait for Midi in , you\'ll have to manually align the file in Cakewalk. Hope that helps.

Jeff

Cool, I\'ll check it out when I get home!

Thanks.

Go Back to forum