• Register
  • Help

Topic: Software and hardware sound modules

Share/Bookmark

Software and hardware sound modules

I\'ve noticed that, while a lot of software sample-playback synths (such as SampleTank) come with a much larger amount of sample data than hardware workstations such as Triton (4 GB versus 64 MB), and a greater amount of RAM is devoted to each individual sample, the sound quality doesn\'t seem to be proportionately better.

Why is this the case? Is it because Korg and other hardware synth manufacturers have more years of experience in sound design? Or possibly because, since sound developers for software modules have far more memory to work with, they feel less motivated to be resourceful?

Any light on this subject would be appreciated.

Re: Software and hardware sound modules

Is it because Korg and other hardware synth manufacturers have more years of experience in sound design?[/QB]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That\'s what I think. They often choose from among a group of sound designers rather than relying on one to do the entire synth. Their synths have a heavier emphasis on playability rather than techno-geekery. They will do the sound modification for you. For example, at the Wizoo forum at KvR, one of the people that developed Hypersonic said that if you want that Korg sound, bump up the bass and the treble. His intent was to mock their sound design, but it was more of a self-parody. Okay guys, if you know that, then please do it for me so that I don\'t have to be co-sound-designer on everyone of your patches. Unless/until softsynth developers get beyond being engineers and programmers, hardware will remain king.

Re: Software and hardware sound modules

yep, programming and design are more important....size shmize [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum