• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: IT'S TiME TO VOTE FOR CHALLENGE #30!!!!

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation IT'S TiME TO VOTE FOR CHALLENGE #30!!!!

Challenge #30 was set by RichR, who asked us to develop the following motif into a piece of music lasting between 1 and 3 minutes:

The rule given was: "The notes in the theme must be stated at least once, though the rhythm and meter need not be the same as given."

We ended up with 8 fine entries. Here is the page to listen to them and cast your vote:

Cast your vote here

Voting rules are stated on that page. Any questions, let me know!
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

Re: IT'S TiME TO VOTE FOR CHALLENGE #30!!!!

Great job at this melody, everyone!

I listened to these last night. Now, I have to make my mind up on a vote. These are all interesting ans so different from each other. I would happily vote for all of them.

Good luck!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

It is incredible how much talent and beauty shows up, using a not so easy "melody"(?). Apart from the few entries of jazz-style which are great but would not fit my idea that you could just play the entries and title it Variations on a Theme, and it would be a lovely piece! Or, connect the jazz-like pieces and enjoy!
    Hard to vote!

Ted

Fun stuff! Extremely successful round - I just finished a very appreciated break in my day, listening to them all. Enjoyed everyone's work, now I've cast me vote - And now hope everyone joins in, listening, voting, and looking forward to the discussion to follow when the Challenge is a wrap.

Randy

Surprised by the beauty of most of them, surprised that even someone did it Bigband style (which I loved). All participants, congratulations. I voted.

Raymond

The variety of the styles is amazing. My vote has been cast.
    Cheers,

Kevin F..

KM Frye- (SOCAN)
    Music Director- Four Seasons Musical Theatre- 2016

Bella Vista Studios
    Canada

GPO4, JABB3, Garritan World Inst, REAPER, Roland VS2480 DAW

Such a nice idea to stimulate creativity and what a terrific result. Some compositions are really top works, some are on the way to become gems.

I cast my vote. One submission was by far the better one (...in my opinion...!). To be able to judge, I gave them all a score with a max. of 10 points.

My number one got 8/10, my number 8 was 4/10. I've tried not to take into account the musical style (too diverging), but I must say that these differences were very pleasant!

Anyway, a big applause for the idea and for all participants!

Max

Great entries! I voted for what I thought were two clear winners.

Art
    Arthur J. Michaels
    https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000 through Finales 25.4 (currently using Finale 25.4)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.3
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

Congratulations to all the entrants. And congrats to Rich for making such a unique challenge. It has always amazed how different each of the efforts are to these challenges. And, yet, over time, one begins to discover certain aspects of the character of each of the entrants. All were wonderful, picking one was almost impossible. I voted for my two favorites also. In my opinion, even the worse one of this group could be the award winning entrant. They all deserve applause.

Thanks Rich for a great competition.

Best regards,
    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

I have only recently stumbled across this forum, and having done some reading & listening I thought I would have a go at voting on this challenge.

Gosh it's much harder to vote than I thought it would be - the entries are all very worthwhile & enjoyable, and each one has something different to offer, congrats to all the participants for a great job.

I'm trying to be as reasonably objective as I can when assessing (or I think I am), I do have a wide taste in music and am always up to listen to something new - which may help. I've never done this type of judging before (I judged a couple of talent contests years ago but that was in realtime and there was an audience reaction to help), I don't know if there are any formal criteria/weighting to use - haven't seen any referred to so I am making my own up as I go along. I could google for some criteria but its probably more fun to come up with my own which I think will include these below (and I may need some before I vote);

• overall feel - what style & emotions do I think the piece is trying to convey overall, and how well do I think it achieves it compared to other pieces I know of similar feel (OK this is no doubt extremely subjective so I lied earlier!)

• structure, form & balance - how does the piece break down into sections (if any), & how does the overall balance of these sections feel?

• intro & ending - I'm rating these for each piece in its own context, don't quite know why but it might be useful...

• rhythm & tempo - does the overall r&t fit the piece well? Are any r&t changes used appropriately/creatively (rubato etc), if none are there any missed opportunities (OK now its sounding even more subjective!)

OK at this point I have now cracked and just looked at Wikipedia's music page to see if I am heading down a blind alley - my list seems OK so far although it suggests rhythm covers tempo, meter & articulation - I'll add those above

• melody & harmony - includes variations, key changes, chord progressions & voicings, polyphony, counterpoint, harmonisation (dissonance/consonance/balance) - this could be a huge list!

• dynamics - are these used well? does the piece seem lacking in dynamics? overly dynamic if there is such a thing?

• timbre & texture - I guess this encompasses the choice of instruments & their orchestration, so how 'good' are the sonic qualities overall - any particular highlights or lowlights? (I'm now thinking objectivity is impossible...)

• originality & interest - does the piece have anything original to offer (not necessarily a good or bad thing, not sure how to assess this)? Does it get boring or keep interest throughout (or grow interest or lose it...)? Why did I even mention objectivity?

• the motif- does it include the challenge theme as specified? Finally a truly objective measure....

• the technical mix - any 'orrible noises, is it swimming/drowning in reverb, any other distractions or things that stand out?

After a few listens I have so far narrowed it down to a shortlist of 5 entries, I'm going to need more time on this than I thought - you guys are eating my bandwidth!

Cheers,

O.

Go Back to forum