• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Orchestral Drama #3, please listen

Share/Bookmark

Orchestral Drama #3, please listen

Hi all,

I already posted a few times here, but now is a good point to introduce myself a bit more officially, since I just finished my first bigger orchestral piece with sampled orchestra.

It´s here:
    www.audionomio.de/mp3/OrchestralDramaNr3_mix12_320kbit_14MB.mp3

It´s quite big, six minutes or 14mb. Please have the patience to download it.
    I didn´t see much daylight the last days because of this and I need some feedback now.
    This place here seems to be a very competent pool. I´m very curious to your comments. Please do comment.

Stylistically one could maybe call the first half a tschaikosvkian samba... [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    hope you enjoy it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Best regards,
    - Mathis
    (a composer from germany currently doing further composition studies in Den Haag, Netherlands)

Re: Orchestral Drama #3, please listen

Mathis,

This seems to demonstrate the potential of using samples with notation programs like Sibelius, Finale and Overture. Many people here probably use sequencers and may not realize what it means to be able play from a notation program.

Thanks for sharing this.

Gary Garritan

PS: This is the first tschaikosvkian samba I\'ve heard with a wind machine at the end [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Nice piece. I particularly liked the nice chordal harmonic changes between 3:11 to 4:14 - very nice! Brooding and emotional. Actually I believe it could be part of a beginning to expand upon exponentially - in my opinion it is the strongest part of piece and could actually be a piece in and of itself without the extra parts used as embellishment. In fact, the major chord at 4:15 came as a bit of let down because it meant that the mood set by 3:11 to 4:14 was over.

That said, the section between 4:15 and 4:44 was very nice as well, in particular the woodwind scoring.

I think another part of the reason I liked that section so much was because the instruments sounded much more believable to my ears. You may want to look at other libraries which are stronger in certain sections. The earlier samba sections felt a bit on the mechanical side due to being scored in rather than played in. Of course these are all my opinions of which you are welcome to disagree with.

Thanks for sharing the piece!

Best,

Frederick

Stylistically one could maybe call the first half a tschaikosvkian samba...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I don´t know how you came up with this expression...There´s nothing of Tchaikovsky or samba on it!!!

excellent...

Nice work Mathis! Which notation program did you use?

Keep on writin\'.

Oh sorry, there´s a basic misunderstanding. I was presenting the notation/Gpo layout on GPO forum and Gary now thought that the notation program is still doing the job. Sorry for my lack of information. Every part is played/programed by myself into the sequenzer.

Hi Frederik,
    I agree with your comments. Personally I favour also this woodwind choir in the middle.

And, of course, I forgot the obvious question: The main workhorse is Opus1, with help of GPO, Dan Dean and Halion string edition.

Having said before, that I played every part, is in fact not entirely true. The percussion parts are quantized, I ´wasn´t able to play that stuff...

Originally posted by leogardini:
    I don´t know how you came up with this expression...There´s nothing of Tchaikovsky or samba on it!!!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well, of course it´s ment as a joke. I thought that the percussion part in the first half, especially when the snare ensemble comes in, has some brasilian batucada quality. But, of course, it´s more of a march. And Tschaikovsky because of my excessive octave doubling [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Ey Mathis,

Cool piece man! Very nicely done. Great percussion-, actionstuff. Cool that ya live in the Netherlands too and so close, Den Haag. I live in Katwijk myself, that\'s about a half hour bustrip from DH Station. But anyway, check my Suite out if ya want:

www.sidbarnhoorn.tk or,
    http://sidbarn.magic-systems.net

Keep up the good work!

Take care,
    -Sid.

Go Back to forum