• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: White Grand....... thoughts after a couple days of constant playing.

Share/Bookmark

White Grand....... thoughts after a couple days of constant playing.

I am obsessed with Piano Libs and I own far too many of them.
    My latest purchase was the Worras White Grand.

Before I say anything about the sound of the lib I must first shout from the top of my lungs that this companies policies about crossgrades is absolutely the best!!

I bought the giga version. Went to their web site and downloaded the kontakt patches.
    Did the conversion per the pdf instructions.
    Perfect.
    NO Charge.
    VSL\'s policy about crossgrades is outrageaous by comparison. With white grand, sampletekk seem to acknowledge that we as owners, already own the rights to the samples. Even the upgrade to 24 bit versions is free (just $30 for the cost of the dvd burn and shipping).

This should be industry standard practice. I would have even been more than happy to pay a small fee for the extra programming that goes into other versions but the free download is much appreciated.

Soundware companies should in every possible way look towards sampletekk\'s policy before deciding on there own crossgrade options.

To the piano.

There is definately something to the 16 velocity layer thing. Butter. while the unfortunate Mike Myers/Streisand image comes to mind, Butter is the best word to describe how this thing plays.

I think Bruce once used the word addictive.
    Even away from my rig I am still feeling how incredibly sensitive this thing is. It haunts me and draws me back to sit down and play it.
    How many libs make you NEED to sit down and PLAY IT NOW?!!?
    I am beyond knocked out by it.

When you spend as many hours in front of high end monitors(currently Adam S3\'s + Gen S30\'s) as I do (mix/mastering), its interesting to zone in on how different engineers/producers HEAR things differently.
    It gets easy to tell who mixed a track just by its sonic imprint (eq balance).

Same with Library creators.
    I own Worra\'s previous piano lib. While I raved about the quality of the lib I really did not like the eq balance of either the piano or the recording of it. It took simply too much eq to get it to sit in a mix and the one universal truth is the eq is seldom ever a good thing on a piano.
    White Grand has a very similair sonic imprint to Worras studio grand.
    900-1.5K. Very very mid heavy in this area.
    The Eb and E above middle C especially.
    Most likely this is just the way this piano sounds.

But I am so damn addicted to the playability of the White Grand that I will spend many hours working with eq to see if I can get it to sit better in a mix. I may even resort to eqing individual samples as to not effect neighboring zones. Its just a dream to play and worth the effort.

Worra again deserves recognition for raising the bar on piano libs.
    This thing is stunning to play.

I now have a future fantasy of Worra finding a Killer C7 and giving it the full White Grand production treatment.
    I will literally buy every lib he creates. The quality is that good.

Worra, Please please please please do a C7 (or bigger) yamaha. I\'ll pay double for it.
    I am a customer of your for life.

Re: White Grand....... thoughts after a couple days of constant playing.

Ed That\'s great to hear how happy you are! I know Worra will be pleased when he gets back and reads the boards. I\'m curious what type of mixes you\'ve been using WG in to need the EQ. I\'ve used it in several different settings and I\'m intrigued at how perfect it sits in some mixes, and in some I find I need to roll out the same frequencies you\'ve mentioned. Then occasionally I\'ve actually found the need to roll out some mids and boost some highs. But the more amazing thing I have found about WG is it has handled the EQ pretty well. Some piano\'s loose all character with EQ, but WG holds on pretty well. I know he\'s working on more libs so I too am anxious to hear what he can produce!!

J-

I own Worra\'s previous piano lib. While I raved about the quality of the lib I really did not like the eq balance of either the piano or the recording of it.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">How can I ever believe you again! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Because I openly stated so many times in this forum. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    My opinion of Studio Grand was that it was a super high quality sampling and programming job of a piano that I did not like much.
    I said this in most every thread I posted in about it.
    The care and talent that went into that Lib was clear.
    I just didn\'t like the piano.
    But thats why I didn\'t even hesitate to buy the White Grand.

The white grand is interesting because sonically its actually very similair to studio grand in regards to its sonic imprint.
    But Worra has taken the art of programming to a new level. And as J just mentioned it seems to take EQ much better.

We may have to talk about the tuning of some of the upper register notes however.
    But right now I don\'t care. I just love the way it plays. Vintaudios C7 is likely to stay my main piano for the moment but with the White grand its like having two excellent pianos sitting in a great studio and I just have to decide which is the better choice for the project.
    How good is that problem!!!????

Thanks for your kind words!
    When it comes to personal taste and preferences in sound, you can\'t, and shouldn\'t arguee!
    When it comes to mixing, it\'s the same thing there.
    In my opinion, the secrets behind a good mix is to find room in the frequency spectra for all instruments. If you lift out a single instrument from a mix, it doesn\'t have to sound good on it\'s own, it\'s the whole result that counts.
    Dependin on how you like to mix, a instrument, like a piano, can sit more or less well un-eq\'ed.
    When making the White Grand, I had a couple of goals:
    1. It should be an outstanding instrument to play on, thus the 36 velocity layers.
    2. It should, from my preferences, sound good.
    3. It should sit well in a mix, and it should be possible to process it if it doesn\'t
    4. It should be technically 100% well recorded.

The first and last point is probably something that you can measure and have a subjective meaning about. The third is a bit more objective, and the second is purly objective.

I\'m glad that you have so many pianos to choose from, being a pianist and shopping for sampled pianos isn\'t directly easy, but probably plesant, theses days....
    I\'m sure that you will find good use for the White Grand in the future.

About sampling a C7. Yes, as soon as I find one that I think is good enough.
    I\'ve checked a few, but I\'ll keep on looking!

1. It should be an outstanding instrument to play on, thus the 36 velocity layers.
    3. It should sit well in a mix, and it should be possible to process it if it doesn\'t

The first and last point is probably something that you can measure and have a subjective meaning about. The third is a bit more objective, and the second is purly objective.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Err I think your objective/subjective use is backwards [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] hehe

- Junktrocious

Originally posted by Junkmonkey:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\"> 1. It should be an outstanding instrument to play on, thus the 36 velocity layers.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Err I think your objective/subjective use is backwards [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] hehe

- Junktrocious
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">hmmm... ok, but I\'m excused, I\'ve been sampling what\'s going to become the Black Grand for 35 hours or so, I\'m pooped!
    Now I only have to edit the +7000 samples.....
    The joy of being a sample producer!!!

Worra,

Could you spare us a little teaser of the Black Grand? Anything would be fine. It doesn\'t have to be samples. I\'m sure you have a recording of some improvisation lying around. Please? Don\'t make us wait so long.

------------
    Alex Cremers

what are the technical requirements for the white grand? I couldnt find them at all on the sampletekk site

I\'m running the White Grand on an AMD Athlon 2500+ Barton with 1 gig of memory and, to be frank, it hogs a lot of cpu. It does sound GREAT though. Certainly the best piano I have in my arsenal.

Go Back to forum