• Register
  • Help

Topic: ot: Rode NT5 or Studio Projects C4?

Share/Bookmark

ot: Rode NT5 or Studio Projects C4?

Which one would you prefer for distant orchestral recording and why? I\'d like to know your opinions.

Thanks!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: ot: Rode NT5 or Studio Projects C4?

I would say neither one.

If I were going to go with a Rode, right now I think the most interesting combo would be a pair of NT-2000s, in mid-side configuration. You\'d have to build or fashion a rig that suspended one upside down over the other, with the cages almost touching.

That would be a super quiet, and super detailed perspective, though, a bit reminiscent of a dual 414 setup but with more detail and openness.

Another interesting choice might be a pair of K2s. They\'re a little more excited sounding than the NT2000, but very nicely detailed.

I like the NT5 pair, but not for that application. I wouldn\'t use KM-84/184s for that either, so it\'s not really a matter of Rode\'s design as much as I just don\'t think you\'re going to get a really interesting recording out of that kind of circa 1/2\" cardioid at that distance. Most people go with Sennheisers or B & Ks to do that kind of distant small diaphragm work. The former is a really quiet design, the latter a really accurate design. Still, that kind of mic for that kind of setup is going to be very \"college recording department\" in feel...kind of generic.

What\'s the actual task at hand? Distant orchestral is maybe a tad general, and I might be talking crap if I\'m not understanding the goals. I don\'t have any experience with that Studio Projects model, but would probably roughly categorize it as the others mentioned--I\'m sure they\'d work, I just don\'t know how distinctive a recording you\'re going to get with two small-diaphram condensers on a stick.

My personal preference for that kind of gig is to put a coincident pair, either xy or mid-side, right over the podium and as close as possible to the group while remaining equidistant. Then I\'d add a spread pair of cardioids up high just past the proscenium or apron, and a set of omnis somewhere in the house, maybe rigged up high at the ceiling or halfway in the house facing back. I record some slates/slapsticks in that situation, so I can phase-match to the coincident pair for non-surround mixes.

Like an AKG C246 in the middle with two 414\'s on the side?

Originally posted by Ernstinen:
    My story on Sennheiser K2-U\'s:

Years ago, I went to a garage sale where a widow of an L.A. soundman was selling \"box fans, mic stands etc.\" Since I needed mic stands, I checked it out.

I asked the lady \"how much for the box fan\", and she said \"$10\". Then we stumbled upon a matched pair of Sennheiser K2-U mics, and I asked her \"how much for each mic?\" and she said, \"hmmm, how about $5 each\"!!!! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

So we got out of there with over $900 of sound gear for $25.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">What a charming story........

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Chirp Chirp:
    Like an AKG C246 in the middle with two 414\'s on the side?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'m substituting Rode NT-2000/K-2 for anything I formerly said \"two 414s.\" The new Rodes are scary good.

Go Back to forum