• Register
  • Help

Topic: Max Reger - Suite for viola solo, G-moll, Op 131d/nr.1

Share/Bookmark

Max Reger - Suite for viola solo, G-moll, Op 131d/nr.1

All VSL solo viola. Complicated material. Not so much keyswitches, more accents on the attacks, tempi and expression.

See my website http://www.demuziekvanraymondrobijns.nl/EtalageEN.html

I never thought that a viola was such beautiful instrument.

Raymond

Re: Max Reger - Suite for viola solo, G-moll, Op 131d/nr.1

I had the same thought at my first listening to Reger's music few months ago.
    Bravo Raymond.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Hello Raymond!

Nice to see this! I've felt for a while that the viola is under-appreciated in the string world, so this is a nice refreshing thing to hear! I really liked the start of the 2nd movement, the attacks were very crisp and clean.

Every movement was very well realized, and I enjoyed listening to all of them! Thanks for sharing your work on this recording!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Yes, the viola is down under in the music literature. A shame. But to be honest, I firstly didn't like that sound, but after witnessing a "café-performance" of some string quartet, I adjusted this feeling. It is a mature string instrument.

For those who have difficulties finding the score, which I tried to follow to the letter, here it is:

https://app.box.com/s/helouvxnngf1k7xpe17z

Right now I am taming that VSL cello with some Etudes from the 18the century. Will post it when ready.

Raymond

Here is the Youtube performance I used as guide for my "recording"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lihByTrN3jw

Raymond

Hi Raymond, dear friend,

So many notes, so much good music...

Max Reger is a great composer, but not only that. He's a strings' master, again proven in this suite.

I know you were not so fond of the vibrating nasal low string instrument called viola, but you overcame that reluctance to turn it into fine craftsmanship with the delicate samples. The second and the fourth part show your skill for bow handling, whereas the first and third part prove your sensitivity for emotion and musical phrasing. Notes in a score don't tell all the hidden subtleties, you must discover them and play them. With samples that is even more complicated because you don't 'feel' the vibrations. Your experience as a cello player will certainly have helped you, but even then it is a gigantic task to realise a human performance with a solo instrument as rich as the viola. And you did honour to all viola players in the world, so often the center of musical and practical jokes.

And one more to unlearn...

Why is playing the viola like peeing in your pants? They both give you a nice warm feeling without making any sound
    Sorry for all viola players. They are true musicians indeed and my best friend is a viola player.

Thanks for sharing this marvel!

Max

Why are viola jokes so short? So violinists can understand them.

Raymond

Beautifully done, Raymond... a thoroughly enjoyable performance.

I, too, have long admired Reger's work -- but I don't think I've heard this before.

Thank you for bringing it to us.

All best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    All VSL solo viola. Complicated material. Not so much keyswitches, more accents on the attacks, tempi and expression.

See my website http://www.demuziekvanraymondrobijns.nl/EtalageEN.html

Raymond
    Absolutely wonderful. The viola is so rarely presented as a solo instrument, and very rarely so brilliantly.

Tom

Please forgive me. I am a bit late answering your comments. Many thanks for your kind words. I agree with you, the viola is a great instrument. It gave me much pleasure working with the samples, no simple stuff all those switches and articulations. Listening over and over, amending velocities, phrasing, tempi, it was all there. But as you said so, the result is great and that is everybodies goal, isn't it?

Greetings, see you at the cello suite (further down the LR).

Raymond

Go Back to forum