• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Mac 2x DVD Media Substitutes???

Share/Bookmark

Re: Mac 2x DVD Media Substitutes???

use DVD-R

Hola Jose, Thanks for taking the time to reply.

(In a gentle tone of voice) I know to use
    DVD -R. That is not my question.

Several brands (Maxell for instance) have several choices according to mechanism. As mine is a superdrive (a generation 1 version)
    I would like to know which type people have has success with.

D

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Have you investigated whether Apple intends to firmware-update the drive? I\'ve been noticing a general phase-out of 2x media from first-tier companies, but there still seems to be a lot of third-party 2x media on the shelves here in Dallas.

Fry\'s had a lot, and they may do mail-order.

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    Have you investigated whether Apple intends to firmware-update the drive? I\'ve been noticing a general phase-out of 2x media from first-tier companies, but there still seems to be a lot of third-party 2x media on the shelves here in Dallas.

Fry\'s had a lot, and they may do mail-order.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes, Apple has a firmware update, all DVD-R 4x should work.

Rick

Definitely upgrade your firmware. Search the Apple support site. You can actually damage some 1st-generation Superdrives by using media faster than 2x without the firmware update,

After the update you will still not be able to burn at speeds faster than 2x, but you can use the media.

Bruce, you are a star. I was hoping you would chime in.

As for the others who helped me, THANK YOU. I do appreciate the time you took to reply.
    All very helpful. I will grab the firmware update and avoid damaging the drive.

Best regards,
    Didier

Hi Didier, not to put you off, but be very careful when applying the firmware update.

If you apply the wrong firmware patch to a piece of hardware you can burn it out.

You might need to pop the drive out of the mac and write down the model number to be sure you get the right patch.

(My apologies if this is obvious to you)

Scott.

Apple System Profiler should tell you what model you\'re using. I doubt you need to take the drive out.

Good to know. I havent had to do a firmware upgrade on a Mac. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Even with the firmware update, you will only be able to burn 4x DVD\'s at a maximum of 1x, which means you\'ll still be better off tracking down 2x DVDs, which WILL burn at 2x. Sounds confusing but that\'s the way I\'ve found it to be (I have the same version 1 superdrive as you & did the firmware update and looked into all of this some time ago with Apple). I keep stocked up on 2x dvd blanks.

Good luck,

Joel

Go Back to forum