• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Live, samples, or Toyota's trumpet playing robot?

Share/Bookmark

Live, samples, or Toyota\'s trumpet playing robot?

Is this live or sampled, in part or entirely, or is it Toyota\'s new trumpet playing robot?

http://www.cdsol.com/cdsol/downloads/EnglishSuite1.mp3

-- Martin

Re: Live, samples, or Toyota\'s trumpet playing robot?

No takers?

Well, whatever it is, it has some serious intonation problems as well as a lack of feel. Sounds like about a seventh grade trumpet player. It does sound as if it\'s definitely coming out of a trumpet though, just not much in the way of technique. No vibrato or dynamics. A bit of a problem in the upper range as well. I would think that if it were the robot, it would have better luck on the upper notes and be more consistent throughout.

Tim,

Good going! It was my 13 year old son (8th grade).

The piano is the Bardstown Bosendorfer, programmed in Overture.

-- Martin

LOL!
    Sheesh, I\'m glad it wasn\'t you..... Didn\'t want to offend anyone.
    Being a trumpet player myself, I know that\'s about what I sounded like back in elementary school. Hope your son doesn\'t take any offense to the comments, and continues to pursue playing. He\'s off to a great start. All the intonation and feel will come in time.
    I\'d still like to hear the robot.

Tim

Martin,

QUITE good for an 8th grade player! I can hear hints of the \"dark\" tone quality that I think most associate with a good \"legit\" trumpet sound, and the development in breath support and articulation are evident.

He must have an excellent teacher. Hope he keeps it up - he could be dangerous in a couple years.

--Eric, ultra-picky high school band director

Thanks Eric! He does have a great teacher. I just hope I can keep him interested enought to keep studying. He loves band, but doesn\'t practice enough unless he has a contest coming up (sound familiar?). He did get a Superior rating when he played the solo at contest last month.

-- Martin

Tim,

No problem. Funny thing how well you nailed it. The one negative comment he got when he played his solo at contest was intonation. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

He had some problems in the studio, because he had never played with headphones. So that is something that he needs to learn. That affected his tone, intonation and dynamics, all of which he did better when he played at contest (I got to listen).

I was a trombone player for a number of years, but never played the trumpet. If I played a solo like that now, it would sound pretty bad though.

-- Martin

And the piece is one I\'ve always known as \"Hail Brittania\". It\'s a great piece for 4 part brass also.

Carl

Carl,

Yes, Hail Brittania is part of it. There are 5 movements, including Greensleeves, and several others.

-- Martin

Go Back to forum