• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: boss gt-6 guitar multi effect

Re: boss gt-6 guitar multi effect

Thanks Patrick.
    i\'m still looking for some mp3.
    i can\'t find it [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    next weekend i\'ll try to test the gt-6 in a music store.

boss gt-6 guitar multi effect

there\'s someone using this unit here?
    i really need to listen an mp3 showing the real potential of gt-6.
    in particular the tube sounds like dual rectifier mode.harmonizer and wha wha.
    as usual the demos by boss sounds too bad [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    thanks guys

I bought a GT6 a few weeks ago. I was getting tired of my old Boss board.
    The tube emulations are better than they used to be. There is a whole bunch of different sounds available from crunch to speed metal. The harmonizer sounds good, the wha wha I didn\'t try extensively yet.
    I found one thing out though: don\'t sell your old pedals when buying a new one. You usually don\'t get much money for it and there\'s always this one thing your old pedals do that you will not find in the new gear.
    If you like the Boss sound, go for it. The board is surdy and at this point it is the most complete multi effect in Boss\' catalog.

They used to sell the GT6 for $600 but you can find it now for under $400.

Thank you Sharmy!!!
    what i\'m looking for is a great tube sound.
    do you know another multi effect able to do that?
    Vamp 2,Pod,Digitech?

I\'ve had my GT-6 for a long time. The sounds are synthetic. IMO, none of the built-in emulated BOSS pedals sound as good as the original ones, and the amp sims aren\'t really that good.

For $400, it\'s a good deal. But if you\'re nit-picky about your sound, don\'t expect the cleanest and grittiest sounds to come out of this board.

It\'s a good faker.

If you want good tube distortion, save up for a mesa - I can\'t find anything that beats its sound. But like everything else, amp sounds (clean and distorted) are very subjective things. You gotta hear em for yourself and try not to take the first thing that is better than your current setup!

Some of the marshall valves have an okay mellow distorted sound, if that\'s what you\'re after, and a really good clean sound. I\'d go with the mesa though [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] . One more thing, don\'t try and cop out and spend less money on, say, a Blue Voodoo (Crate), they\'re not worth it. With amps, like much everything else, you get what you pay for - the more ya spend, the better!

Don\'t go crazy with effects! Get a good clean sound first - learn to eq! There should be multiple eqs in your chain, someting like Guitar --> EQ --> FX Unit --> EQ --> Preamp (w/built in EQ) --> Cab. You can get incredible sounds just by eliminating those harsh frequencies and emphasizing the others. Check out THIS amazing website - it totally changed the way I rigged my gear. Once you learn the secrets of guitar tone (EQ!!) you can do anything. He has plenty of samples on there which demonstrate the power of eq.

- Junk

P.S. You can check out some mp3 samples here:

It\'s incredible, but true: \"All tunes were recorded using only a $19.95 Radio Shack Optimus 33-3018 mic, AMD K6-2/450 PC, and Cakewalk v8.04. No outboard gear (mic-preamps, mixers, EQ, or compressors, etc.) were used. Midi sounds were generated onboard the \'puter via Yamaha S-YXG50 softsynth. Mastering and final editing were done using Soundforge v4.5\"

The sounds are awesome! One more thing, I hope I don\'t sound like I\'m contradicting myself. Earlier I said \'the more ya spend, the better.\' That is true, give this guy a triple rectifier and the sound would knock you off your seat. But what you must remember is that if you can\'t get a good sound from your current setup, you\'re not doing it right! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Good luck

I\'ve read several threads on K-v-R that folks have picked up Trash and their Pods, etc. have been collecting dust ever since. They have a new VST format plug coming out soon, and depending on your requirements, it might be just what you\'re looking for. They actually have two distortion stages inside their \"Trash\" panel that can create an amazing array or distortion colors.

Not only is their distortion top-notch, but their cabinet and mic\'ing style emulator is *way* cool. They have tons of of cool vintage speaker emulations (as well as a few that defy conventional description), and some slick radio button controls that allow you to set the type of \"microphone\" that you can use - dynamic, condenser, and ribbon - in order to tailor the type of sound that ultimately comes out of the plug.

Junkmonkey\'s comments are completely correct - how you chain effects to countour the sound is as the distortion. If you check out the UI for Trash, you\'ll see that they have pre and post filters on the distortion, and then out to the box modeler and other effects (called \"buzz\").

Check out their demo - you\'ll be glad you did.

I\'ve used every guitar processor since the ADA MP-1 (not to mention own several \'classic\' amps) -

Anyhow, the PodXT is hands down, the coolest, most realistic amp sim/processor on the market.

No software sims come close to this device! (Trash is marginally ok, at the best).

The amp sims on the XT are very true to form. I have mic\'d up amps with similar setting to the XT and in a mix, you cant tell the real to xerox verion.

To get the most of the XT you need to use a little post eq to clean up the top end fizz and tighten up the low-mids. Other than that, it is very much plug and go, with a good handful of inspiring presets to get your feet wet. If you are a PC user, you can take advantage of it\'s internal soundcard/midi device via USB, not to mention software edits for all the settings!!

The GT-6 is cool for unusual sounds, synth effects, but not very good at simulating real amp tones.

I run my XT directly through a Drawmer 1960 and the sound is SO smooth. I rarely EVER mic up a real amp anymore in the studio. All i need is my little red kidney bean.

For the record ... the XT is more geared towards classic/vintage tones. If you want razor blades to the ears/ modern tones, other devices or software sims may do it better.

I love my Pod XT Pro. Like SWL said, you need to eq out some fizz, but after that, it sounds great. I also have an old Digitech GSP 2101 Artist that has some great effects, but the distortion is not that great, even though it\'s got a tube.

I downloaded the Trash demo, but I have not been able to get a sound that I really like, yet, but I\'m not giving up. A lot of people really like it, but there seems to be a little learning curve to it, and I haven\'t given it enough effort yet, but I love the concept. The demo mp3 files haven\'t overly impressed me, though. But as already stated, guitar tone is a very subjective thing.

I\'ll chime in on the PodXT. I\'ve done a fair amount of direct recording with that and the Vetta, and the latest generation of Line6 amp models sounds very convincing. One huge improvement from the Pod to the PodXT is the quality of the high gain models, IMO. The rectifier in the first generation Pod sounded like @ss, all flabby and woofy and almost useless in a mix without drastic EQ. The one in the XT sounds amazingly more authentic.

Another cheaper route to consider might be the Johnson J-Station. I still use my Johnson Millennium for most of my own direct guitar recordings (the models are very similar to the J-Station), and though it is a few years old, I think it still stacks up very favorably to the latest sexiest modeling hardware.

It isn\'t the best way to showcase the guitar, but here is a recent recording I did of a techno-metal demo using a Schecter C-7 and the Johnson rectifier model: Kasar

In my experience, hardware is still REALLY the way to go for this sort of thing. Plugs like Trash, etc are great for creative mangling but very frustrating to use for recording a straight-up amp model.

Thanks, Patrick. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Without a lot of tweaking, the Johnson high-gain models have a bit more edge and \"meanness\" to them than the PodXT, which tend to sound a little rounder and fuzzier. That said, I\'ve been able to get a very usable metal rhythm tone using various combinations of the Rectified and Spinal Puppet models in the PodXT. Best results come from not using TOO much gain (maybe about 1/2 - 2/3 of max) to keep some tightness to the tone. For metal-style rhythm guitar I always double track in mono and pan the two tracks hard L & R.

Go Back to forum