• Register
  • Help

Topic: is a customized library better?

Share/Bookmark

is a customized library better?

This may be a silly question but why is it better to buy an entire orchestral library from one company. If the Sam horns libraries have better brass articulations than EWQLSO and the kirk hunter solo strings are better than it also, why dont people buy specialized libraries in pieces to make up an entire orchestra. Is an all-in-one deal better?

Re: is a customized library better?

consistancy

and notevery library is a -final- solution, so sometimes its good to have other libs as \"add ons\"

or jsut combine from ALL sources to build a custom library, not jsut the seperate sections libs, but also including the \"all in one\" libraries.

This is why one should never get into buying sample libraries.

-final- solution
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Bad choice of words! [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

gimme a break, too much editing and kontakt programming

Originally posted by KingIdiot:

This is why one should never get into buying sample libraries.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I totally agree! If you think you will be happy with a \"single\" library you will be disapointed. Therefore King Idiot is right. DONT start buying libraries, it\'s far too addictive! Once you start you cant stop! There will always be at least one instrument that could be better. Then when you get that instrument, how do your other instruments compair? AHHHH... There are small gaps even in the expensive libraries. You have to buy them all... LOL.. GIMMIE GIMMIE!!!

And it gets worse. It\'s not just buying selective libraries for their strengths, there\'s the layering aspect. You get a completely different and unique sound when you put a SAM bone on a Westwood, or layer SI strings with VSL or KH or Garritan. Or how about that Roland Rosin thing Rob Elliot put under his VSL strings that worked so well (ROLAND?)

The only saving grace - if we listen to demos for some of the older out of favor libraries, we discover that it\'s all about composition, arrangement, and know-how (plus some here and there custom tweaking of vanilla out-of-the-box) and less about the library. But it\'s easier and more fun to spend hours discovering, researchng, and buying new samples as opposed to the lonely and tedious focus on the composition and arrangement.

Originally posted by Joanne Babunovic:
    And it gets worse. It\'s not just buying selective libraries for their strengths, there\'s the layering aspect. You get a completely different and unique sound when you put a SAM bone on a Westwood, or layer SI strings with VSL or KH or Garritan. Or how about that Roland Rosin thing Rob Elliot put under his VSL strings that worked so well (ROLAND?)

The only saving grace - if we listen to demos for some of the older out of favor libraries, we discover that it\'s all about composition, arrangement, and know-how (plus some here and there custom tweaking of vanilla out-of-the-box) and less about the library. But it\'s easier and more fun to spend hours discovering, researchng, and buying new samples as opposed to the lonely and tedious focus on the composition and arrangement.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">AMEN!!
    D.M

Here, here Joanna!

In the past nine months, which is when I started with these library issues, my compositional \"production\" has been down about 90% compared to the previous three years when i was innocently and happily going along with the \"synthy\" sounds of my synth. I am just now coming out of the fog, but I will not get onto the mystic search for ever better and better samples at the expense of confronting my own more elusive soul. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Ed

Regarding \"older\" sound libraries.....

I am of the opinion that, if a sound library is well-designed, it will never go \"out of date\". After all, \"real\" strings and pianos have been around for centuries, and nobody complains that they\'re \"out of date\".

It\'s true, of course, that as audio technology advances, we will be able to create increasingly \"realistic\" sounds (at least in theory).

But a sound doesn\'t necessarily need to be \"realistic\" in order to be musically useful or satisfying. Many of our most-revered composers and recording artists are still using sampling/synthesis technology from 20 years ago, and nobody complains that their stuff doesn\'t sound \"realistic\" enough.

Originally posted by CadeBryant:

But a sound doesn\'t necessarily need to be \"realistic\" in order to be musically useful or satisfying. Many of our most-revered composers and recording artists are still using sampling/synthesis technology from 20 years ago, and nobody complains that their stuff doesn\'t sound \"realistic\" enough.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes...but not with the intention of sounding like a real orchestra. The Mellotron flute still sounds great, but it doesn\'t sound like an orchestral flute. It was basically just a keyboard that played back tapes under each key. In the 80\'s memory was really expensive, so they took the attack of an instrument and combined it with an impulse wave to add a slight bit of realism to those boring FM sounds. Of course we\'re much further now, and eventually it will be possible to have all our physical instruments replaced by RAM-eating monster samplers which can handle about anything.

Go Back to forum