• Register
  • Help

Topic: Recorder samples

Recorder samples

Anybody knows where I can find or buy good treble recorder samples, or even the entire family of flutes?

Nova Scotia, Canada

Re: Recorder samples

The Early Patches library features Kobliczek and Moeck recorders (soprano, alto and tenors)

Originally posted by starobin:
    Anybody knows where I can find or buy good treble recorder samples, or even the entire family of flutes?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Funny you should ask.... I\'m off to the studio tomorrow to do some pilot sampling for a recorder sample CD! We are thinking about sampling both \"normal\" flutes, like soprano, sopranini, alto but also do some baroque flutes. They are tuned a bit differently, but the flutist claims that they have a special sound.
    I hope to have the whole CD ready for release in a couple of months.

I\'ve always wanted a good recorder ensemble patch that would play like a pipe organ(with the various recorders mapped across the keyboard), where the attack intensity is controlled by velocity( so one gets more chiff with harder strokes ). One could record multiple levels of attack for each note, or layer a hard short attack on a soft sustain.

I think the recorder would be much easier to do than the flute, as it is more limited in range, but I\'ve not yet heard a sample I\'ve really liked.

If a player can get three different dynamics, then he/she is lucky. When I played, I usually could only produced one dynamic...sometimes two. The instrument is tricky because it is very easy to overblow.

We have made the pilotsessions now, and we plan for the major session in a month or so.
    I\'ve sampled 4 flutes, alt, tenor, sopran & sopranino.
    In the major session we\'ll also do bass.
    I discussed the matter of velocity with the musician, a very skillfull one who studied recorder in Switzerland for many years, and we decided that, for the pilot session, only make 1 velocity layer. When we do the major set, we\'ll go for two. The instrument itself can\'t really produce more then that. What we done now are normal, portato, (both with and without vibrato) and stacatto.
    Later we\'ll record more variations sutch as glissandos, trills and such.

To clarify what I said.. I wanted a sample with intensity of attack (not sustain) controlled by velocity. So hitting the key gently gives one a \"loo\" attack and harder gives a \"too\". A recorder ensemble is generally much more expressive than an organist playing a wooden flute stop. Why? There is a slight bit of swell that the recorder can handle, but the subtle and varied attacks really handle much of the expression. Personally I rather like listening to recorder ensembles, even though I find most organ performances on flute stops rather dull. I suppose a good tracker organ gives one a small bit of control over the amount of chiff, but I\'ve never heard anything that sounds as good as a group of recorders.

Go Back to forum