• Register
  • Help

Topic: Has Anyone Tried the Conexant GM500 Samples?

Share/Bookmark

Has Anyone Tried the Conexant GM500 Samples?

I\'m thinking about ordering the GM500 General MIDI collection. If anyone has tried it, I would appreciate your impressions of it. Looks like it\'s $119. I have two rack mount synths (proteus fx and korg 05r/w) that I currently use.

Thanks,
    Van Sotraidis

Re: Has Anyone Tried the Conexant GM500 Samples?

Forget it if you already have loads of GM Synth. I compared the GM samples and I still prefer the sound of my JV1010. Save your money for something more useful.

Thanks, Jeff. I suspected that might be the case.

Van
    www.mp3.com/VANMUSIC

I don\'t disagree with jeffrey\'s assessment, but at that price, it\'s not a bad bargain for an extra set of standard GM patch options. It\'s not the stunning realism and playability that is supposedly synonymous with Gigasampler, just a respectable but unspectacular collection of some very familiar sounds. I bought it simply because I couldn\'t afford the premiere GS libraries, and, to this day, owning the gigasampler for me is liking being all dressed up with nowehere to go.

Well, that\'s a good point. It\'s 128 samples for $119 - less than a buck per sample. Maybe it\'s good for filling in backing parts in a mix, but not so great for the up front lead parts.

Thanks for your thoughts!
    Van

I found the string ensembles a big disappointment. I\'ve heard much better sounds on regular GM synths. The vibes, piano, and rhodes are okay, everything else is pretty much unusable unless you just want some average type sounds to fill in places.
    For a dollar a sound, it\'s not a bad deal but if you\'ve already got GM sounds I would save your money and get something else.

[This message has been edited by Damon (edited 12-20-2000).]

Thanks, Damon. Well, it sounds like there is a consensus on the overall quality. That\'s too bad. I\'d hate to hear their GM150 samples, if the GM500 is that weak.

Van

I have the 150mb libary. I think it\'s about equal comared to most GM modules (the piano is much better though). I find it nice to have some other sounds that the JV2080 if I need GM stuff.

Go Back to forum