• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: What now... GOS or SI???

Share/Bookmark

What now... GOS or SI???

Ok...

I have to admit that I am still saving up money for either of the above sampled libraries but my library purchase is really only 2 months away (gosh how I wish its tomorrow!)... A few weeks ago this wouldn\'t have been a problem because GOS is the only hardcore string library available... But now that SI has released their own equally hardcore library, which one should I pick???

I have AO strings and Smart Violins and both are fun to work with but hard to produce convincing legatos and melody lines...

So to all those (especially Damon!!! heheh) who\'s used both of these libraries, which one is more playable? I like writing orchestral music with a lot of violin melodies so violin legatos must be good!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Please write what you like and don\'t like about either libraries so I can have a good assessment of both libraries...

Thanks heaps!!! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

meeehoon

Re: What now... GOS or SI???

Listen to demos of both libraries and pick the one that sounds best to you.

Look at things from a slightly different perspective.. why would people buy SI if they already had GOS and were satisfied with it? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I\'m sorry I don\'t own either libraries, I find my reprogrammed roland strings + ultimate strings are doing the strings job pretty well for me.
    I don\'t like big libraries so I stay away from them.

Damon has written demos for both libraries I believe, and you should be able to hear which one you like best. Simon Ravn recently did a \"GOS/SI strings E.T comparison\" - You might want to check out those and go with the one that you think is best. If you download the SI strings demo .gig\'s you\'ll get a fair idea of how their playability is. Load the modwheel patch of course. Velocity switching is not the way to go [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Good luck!

Thomas

I\'ve got both, but haven\'t had enough time to sit with SI to tell you ALL its strong points.

I do however think both seem to have different \"takes\" on strings. So its pretty hard to tell you which is \"better\" since its more personal preference in sound.

GOS is bigger sounding in most sections, and has more \"distance\" in the samples. No close mic\'d violins. You can actually hear the distance of the strings to the mics in the samples, but the ambience isn\'t overwhelming.

SI is a bit \"smaller\" and \"tighter\" sounding due to a combination mic approach (it seems, I\'m not sure how it was mic\'d so keep that in mind), close mics for more intimacy and alot of natural ambience for the rosin and resonance. Its quite a good sound. The close mic\'s give focused vibrato and the ambient mics are turned up enough to give good room character.

In terms of short bows. I consider GOS more \"round\" and SI more \"tight\". If that makes any sense. If not then, maybe this will. GOS short bows say \"wah\" and \"whoof\" to me and SI say \"tah\" and \"toof\" to me. Again probably accentuated due to the micing techniques. GOS, without really close mics lets you hear the whole section move as a whole. SI with the close mics let you really hear one or two violins with focus, and the ambientones pick up the rest of the section.

Both of the above styles have their place in different pieces. Not to mention can work well together. Both styles also allow for a different type of \"color\".

SI\'s captured a great \"out of the box\" sound. Its a really usefull library, and I\'ll be using it alot thats for sure.

GOS seems to have more \"variation\" in terms of articulations.

SI seems more \"focused\", and is more consistent in terms of articulations accross all the sections

So far SI seems to do better in the higher registers to my ears.

I may be biased but I still love the GOS looped detaches I did. the overall tone is probably my favorite violin sound, still its only forte.

I do love the SI Basses tho. I was never really fond of the GOS Basses.

Anyhow. This is only from a little toying with SI (and reprogramming already.....you know me). I\'ll learn more about it when I finish this game and get done with some programming on a certain brass lib.

They both are good libs. Its really personal taste now. No one can tell you which is better. Everyone focuses on different things and hears different things.

To be completely honest, I dont think you can really find out which is best for you until you sit with both....for a while [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Then you realise that you will want to use both [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I\'ve learned alot from listening to different people and forming my own opinions that the worst thing you can probably do is listen to what people say about waht they think about these libraries.

What you need to do is listen to the demos, be able to determine from those if what you\'re searching for is attainable with the library. Try and discern MIDI mockup skills from whats actually in the library. Try and focus on the character of the samples themselves. The tone, the style of the bowings...etc. You should be able to make a very educated decision just based on that alone.

Originally posted by meeehoon:
    Ok...
    I have AO strings and Smart Violins and both are fun to work with but hard to produce convincing legatos and melody lines...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I know it\'s not on your wanted list, but have you considered the Kirk Hunter library?

Does anyone know where I can download the SI strings ensembles demos from?

You can download the two gig files here:

http://www.sonicimplants.com/Strings/demos.asp

One more thing. SI is already panned. The sections are pretty much where they should be.

So regarding distance. Things like the Basses are \"back\" and to the right where they should be in most orchestral arrangements.

I should also be pointed out then what I say GOS has more distance, one needs to REALLY understand what I\'m talking about. Microphone placement. Dont confuse this with overall ambience. SI has more of that and some may confuse that with distance to the mic. Its not the same IMO. Especially in the violins this is noticable. SI has a great mix of what seems like close mics of the prominent players and pretty far back Ambient mics for room sound. This is a great combination IMO. It gives the best of both worlds.

Obvciously I wasn\'t at ant of the recordings so I could be all wrong with this on both libraries. I could be hearing different room reflections and they could be fooling me into hearing something as closer or farther away.....but I hope my ears aren\'t THAT bad.

Originally posted by KingIdiot:
    SI is a bit \"smaller\" and \"tighter\" sounding due to a combination mic approach (it seems, I\'m not sure how it was mic\'d so keep that in mind), close mics for more intimacy and alot of natural ambience for the rosin and resonance. Its quite a good sound. The close mic\'s give focused vibrato and the ambient mics are turned up enough to give good room character.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">This describes exactly what I\'m after. I can hear what you mean in the Canon demo. But don\'t you think it sounds unacceptably synthy in places?

I really think that demo has some flaws, but its not due to the libraries sound. more the sequencing. It sounds very quantized, as if someone wrote it in finale or something.

I personally think the overall sound of SI is far from Synthy. But having said that, it actually reminds me of Kurtzweil for some reason. Possibly due to the hard attacks on the forte layer. I dont know why, but it reminds me of that. I dont even have a Kurtz,...but thats the feeling I get.

Anyway, SI does have great character. I really want to sit with it for a bit longer. Maybe the end of August I\'ll actually be able to compose something \"big\" again.

Originally posted by KingIdiot:
    GOS short bows say \"wah\" and \"whoof\" to me and SI say \"tah\" and \"toof\" to me.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">LOL! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Funny analogy King and true as well.

Go Back to forum