• Register
  • Help

Topic: Film Orchestration Tidbits #! (Horns + violas/cellos)

Share/Bookmark

Film Orchestration Tidbits #! (Horns + violas/cellos)

Anyone have any idea what happened to the orchestration forum on this board? It was quiet so I guess that might explain what happened to it. Anyway, this topic is my main interest with gigastudio.. I\'m not a composer per se, or let\'s just say I become way too neurotic whenever I give it a try [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I thought I might start a few threads on film orchestration, specificly texture, balance, and achieving different orchestral effects. I don\'t dwell much on sample realism, in fact considering the bygone days of synclavier I\'m continuely amazed at how good even the 6 year old orchestral samples sound.

I\'ve called the thread Tidbits and the first topic is on the sweet combination of Horns, violas and cellos. This texture has been used since the Romantic era in western music but in simplified form it is extremely effective in film music.

Powder (Main Theme)
    The horns are miroslav, violas both miroslav and ultimate strings.

another example, this one is real orchestra...
    The Edge (Main Theme)

The addition of Cellos (with vibrato) adds a romantic element
    Indiana Jones - Love Theme

another example, this one is real orchestra...
    Attack of the Clones - Love Theme

Sometimes the combination is useful simply for orchestral balance. Listen to the ascending horn lines on the following example
    Les Miserables - Valjean Theme

You can access all of the tracks here:
    http://dorch.cjb.net/forch/orch.html

Take care.

Re: Film Orchestration Tidbits #! (Horns + violas/cellos)

I think its a great idea Gulliver, sharing orchestration tricks. I think people on this forum could stand to learn a lot. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Thanks for sharing.

Gulliver, just thought I\'d say that listening to your Powder mp3 was very refreshing - it seems to me that a lot of the demos I hear, although the sample quality is good, dont capture the homogenous and natural sound of a real orchestra like you have. Also, I think an orchestration forum is a good idea.

Gulliver,

I think that is a great idea, and that this sort of information would be a great counterpoint [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] to more typical giga technical posts.

You make your point with the examples about the horns+viola/celli combination. What type of reverb do you use, or is it a combination?

I bought a book the other day, since I happened to stumble upon Rimsky K\'s Orchestration while I was in Borders. I think that book has lots of examples about instrument combinations, ever heard of it, and if so, is it useful to you in your search for \"that particular sound\"?

Thanks for sharing!

Ruben

Originally posted by MrArkadine:
    Gulliver,
    You make your point with the examples about the horns+viola/celli combination. What type of reverb do you use, or is it a combination?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I use DSPFX Studioverb.. really nice dx plugin. It is not as sophisticated as some of the newer software reverbs but subjectively I like its output. I experimented with Cakewalk\'s Audio FX 3 but unfortunately (i don\'t why) cakewalk just stopped developing and improving that reverb system. It would\'ve been an amazing tool if they kept working on it.

I bought a book the other day, since I happened to stumble upon Rimsky K\'s Orchestration while I was in Borders.

That\'s a great great book. It\'s not comprehensive nor is it strictly reference material for detail on indivisual instruments (like playing techniques, etc) But the writing on instrument combinations, balance and tone quality is worth the price of the book alone.

Take care

Gulliver.

Hi Gulliver,

I really like this idea. We could also submit demos to each other and critique them. Teach each other how to use gigastudio like James Newton Howard.

Jonny

Originally posted by Jonathon Cox:
    Hi Gulliver,

I really like this idea. We could also submit demos to each other and critique them. Teach each other how to use gigastudio like James Newton Howard.

Jonny
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hey Jonny,

Ok, you convinced me [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Here\'s horn ensemble (kinda), viola section, and solo cello. Less than 500 Kb.
    http://home.attbi.com/~nxcm/Moonlight.mp3
    The ensemble horn (Actually slow chords from solo horn) almost sound like woodwinds?

Enjoy it if you can! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Ruben

Go Back to forum