• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question from a Session Musician

Share/Bookmark

Question from a Session Musician

I get hired as a keyboard player/arranger and as is typical, bring my rig to the session. In the old days, the rig consisted of various samplers, sound modules & keys. Now added to that is Giga.

I\'ve seen quite a bit of debate here about rights to use Giga libraries in that it seems like the only right the owner of a library has is to use it on their own projects. Where does this leave the session musician using Giga as part of their rig???

I own my Giga libraries just like I own other sample libraries or sound modules. What\'s the difference, if any?

If it turns out that I can\'t use my Giga libraries the same way I use other sample libraries or sound modules in the normal course of my business, Giga will have to go. I hope this is not the case and I hope that this situation is accounted for in a realistic, logical and non-restrictive way.

Stig

Re: Question from a Session Musician

Hi!
    I doubt there is anything wrong with what you\'re doing. It is still you using giga, so you can use it for whatever you like to. It wouldn\'t be the same if you let others use your samples. Since you\'re hired as a session musician, you are also a part of that project.

Someone arrest me if i\'m wrong, but it seems very unlikely if giga can not be used this way. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Stig,

I\'d say use it as it suits your needs.

You bought the libraries, so if someone hires you to do your thing I think that any reasonable person would agree that the giga sounds are now part of that.

Unless there are specific restrictions (such as VOTA\'s restriction for trailer use), I don\'t believe that developers would deny you the right to use your giga rig to make a profit. That seems to be the idea.

Thanks for input. I\'m hoping for some official word on this too. I don\'t have VOTA, though it\'s one I\'ve been thinking about getting. What kind of restrictions does it have?

Stig

Nick Phoenix, the developer of VOTA, makes a good portion of his living doing music for movie trailers. When he released the VOTA library one of the restrictions he attached to it was the prohibition of VOTAs use in the creation of movie trailers.

There was a long discussion about this topic in a thread a while back. If you do a search on \"VOTA\" you will probably find it.

A search on vota returned over 300 hits. That\'s cool, it\'s not a priority.

Stig

Originally posted by Stig:
    Thanks for input. I\'m hoping for some official word on this too. I don\'t have VOTA, though it\'s one I\'ve been thinking about getting. What kind of restrictions does it have?

Stig
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Stig,

Like Kobb mentioned, VOTA has some restrictions for movie trailers. However, this restrictions apply only for USA movie trailers, with the exception that if you score a movie, then part of that score including VOTA can be used for the trailers. Which solves a lot of my problems [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Ruben

Oopsy! Double post...

Go Back to forum