• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Altiverb for PC??

Share/Bookmark

Altiverb for PC??

As a newbie to giga I am now onto giving \'serious\' consideration to the best sounding plug-in verb. I hear all the raves about Altiverb, but it is only available to our Mac brethren.

Does anyone know if this plug-in is being developed for the PC platform? OR, is there anything else out there for PC that is heads and shoulders above the rest (albeit, my only reference is SX\'s verb.)

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Re: Altiverb for PC??

I checked a short while ago with the company (here in Holland). They told me that they are considering a PC version, but it won\'t be soon. They apparently already do have the required PC development expertise (they are a Mac-oriented company).

Cheers,

Peter,

Thanks for the update. Can you recommend any other verb that will help (not hinder GOS, LOP, etc.) I have a Roland 330 SRV 3-D outboard verb that I use to monitor my writing. Is there a way to \'loop\' that external effects box into SX without signal degradation?

Hi Rob,

Here is a good discussion on reverb that Perry forwarded me. Discussion wanders to windsynth, but comes back to reverb at the end. I \"think\" they are talking about some good reverbs that can run on PC.

http://www.northernsounds.com/ubb/NonCGI/Forum3/HTML/001137.html

Joanne

I have tried using Acoustic Mirror (Modeler) in Wavelab with some success, but cannot get it to work at all inside Logic. Has anybody else tried this? Some of the impulse responses put pretty much any reverb unit to shame in my opinion, and I\'ve used pretty much all of them...

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Rob Elliott:
    Peter,

Thanks for the update. Can you recommend any other verb that will help (not hinder GOS, LOP, etc.) I have a Roland 330 SRV 3-D outboard verb that I use to monitor my writing. Is there a way to \'loop\' that external effects box into SX without signal degradation?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I wouldn\'t worry about signal degradation. Just open up an audio track and record the SRV-330\'s output (100% wet) and you\'ll be way more than fine. At the level you\'ll be actually mixing the reverb signal, any little bit of noise you pick up will be a non-issue.

You can run several \"reverb submixes\" and really get some milage out of that thing.

By the way, that SRV-330 is probably one of the best reverb unit\'s you\'ll find at anywhere near the price. People are searching everywhere for those things--the later model 3030 was nowhere near as good sounding. Hang onto it!!

Thanks Bruce for the \'how-to\'. I have really enjoyed this unit. I am glad to know I can continue to use it.

Originally posted by Rob Elliott:
    Thanks Bruce for the \'how-to\'. I have really enjoyed this unit. I am glad to know I can continue to use it.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Mine will have to be pried from my cold dead fingers. I bought it when they first came out. I was going to the music store to purchase a Lex (I forget which model it was at the time, but it was about $1800). The salesman said, \"You\'re going to think I\'m crazy, but sit and listen to this new Roland before you make up your mind.\"

I guess you know how it ended. I walked out of the music store with the SRV-330...AND a GrooveTubes MD-1. Both became classics. I don\'t usually bat quite that high, but that was a very good day.

Anybody want to buy a stack of ADATS? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Jo-Seth:
    I have tried using Acoustic Mirror (Modeler) in Wavelab with some success, but cannot get it to work at all inside Logic. Has anybody else tried this? Some of the impulse responses put pretty much any reverb unit to shame in my opinion, and I\'ve used pretty much all of them...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The issue (and problem) you\'ll encounter with Acoustic Mirror is the way it allocates lookahead latency and how the host app responds to that.

If you want to use Acoustic Mirror in its most compatible setting, mix in Vegas. On a fast enough machine, you can mix yourself into nirvana. Vegas is a really good environment for mixing Giga tracks, anyway, because it is so network friendly. I have two separate machines that run Giga in addition to my DAW/sequencer/mix machine, and I simply render my Giga tracks to disk on the respective Giga machines, and drag those mix files right onto the Vegas track view and mix across the network. Saves time, disk space, and with a 100 megabit network you would be amazed at the number of tracks which will stream effortlessly. As soon as gigabit networking hardware is a bit more mainstream, there should be no need to ever copy tracks from one machine to another.

Bruce-

Sorry for this request. But could you run through this outboard 330 SRV routing (sends /returns). As I am a newbie to this, I am not sure. I use a Tango A/D converter. I sure appreciate it!

Also, do I have to run an \'extra reverb\' track for every track I want this effect on?

Go Back to forum