• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bass Drum — Full decay to damped keyswitches quest

Share/Bookmark

Bass Drum — Full decay to damped keyswitches quest

Hi folks!

I'm spending some of my otherwise wasted time writing better rules for Bass Drum in Notion3,
    to have both full decay and damped sounds available for playback.
    My AriaPlayer doesn't shows where those keyswitches are located; I checked the entire range with
    my keyboard controller, but nothing seems to happen.
    Can anyone help me?
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Re: Bass Drum — Full decay to damped keyswitches quest

Quote Originally Posted by fabiolcati View Post
    ...My AriaPlayer doesn't shows where those keyswitches are located; I checked the entire range withmy keyboard controller, but nothing seems to happen...
    That's because there aren't any keyswitches for the bass drum. When I've needed to have that drum dampened instead of ringing out, I've used CC7 automation to pull the sound down. It's not natural when soloed, but can work in an ensemble setting.

Randy

Both the separate bass drum and the bass drum in the Basic Orchestral Percussion patch in GPO use the sustain pedal (cc64) for damping. Pedal "up" rings for the full decay; pedal "down" damps the decay. I just checked it with the versions I have installed (to double check that nothing has changed since I retired) and it still seems to be working properly here anyway. So, Randy, you should be able to avoid all that cc7 drawing from now on!

Tom

P.S. The timpani work the same way.
    P.P.S. This all applies to the Standard instruments not the Notation instruments. Can't remember the reasons for eliminating that feature from the Notation instruments - too many years ago.

Thank you for your replies, Randy and Tom.

First, I solved the task by assigning Full Decay and Damped to two discrete MIDI channels in the same Aria instance,
    then I wrote a rule that switches between techniques according to the score.

I don't want to start an argument here, but Bass Drum is addressed as being a KS instrument.
    But Aria doesn't show their position, neither for Standard nor Notation — the latter being true for every Notation one.
    Everything is dimmed out in grey outside the playing range; still, you can switch from one sound to the other by dragging the mouse in the keyswitch area at the left of the keyboard: it looks like the programmers forgot to implement it.

Last but not least, Timpani has actual keyswitches in it. I will test the CC64 for damping too, but, again, you can access damped sound by keyswitch (it's MIDI pitch "2" in Notation).
    Fabio

Quote Originally Posted by fabiolcati View Post
    First, I solved the task by assigning Full Decay and Damped to two discrete MIDI channels in the same Aria instance,then I wrote a rule that switches between techniques according to the score.
    Good. I'm glad you found a solution.

I don't want to start an argument here, but Bass Drum is addressed as being a KS instrument.
    But Aria doesn't show their position, neither for Standard nor Notation — the latter being true for every Notation one.
    Everything is dimmed out in grey outside the playing range; still, you can switch from one sound to the other by dragging the mouse in the keyswitch area at the left of the keyboard: it looks like the programmers forgot to implement it.
    I checked this in the Notation version and you are quite correct. So, I would suggest that you notify Makemusic of the issue in hopes of having it corrected in a future update to the library. This also supplies an explanation of why the cc64 controller was removed (changed) for the notation instruments.

Last but not least, Timpani has actual keyswitches in it. I will test the CC64 for damping too, but, again, you can access damped sound by keyswitch (it's MIDI pitch "2" in Notation).
    Well, now that you have made it clear that you are using the notation version of the instruments there is no point in checking the cc64 switching. As I said, it is only in the Standard instruments for use in sequencers.

While I'm on the subject, I originally programmed this in Kontakt 2. I checked those older instruments just now and all keyswitches appeared properly on screen for n-Basic Orchestral Percussion, n-Bass Drum KS, and n-Timpani KS. That means the error crept in during the later conversion to Aria (and was apparently never reported.) So, again, I would suggest reporting it.

Tom

[QUOTE=Tom Hopkins;750448]...So, Randy, you should be able to avoid all that cc7 drawing from now on!.../QUOTE]

Well hush my mouth - I knew that! Used to anyway - sheesh. Last time I wanted to dampen the bass drum was well over a year ago, and automated CC7, forgetting about the pedal dampening.

Thank you Mr. H - AND, by the way, - it is QUITE a surprise to see you here! I mean it's a GOOD surprise - but - wow!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Thank you Mr. H - AND, by the way, - it is QUITE a surprise to see you here! I mean it's a GOOD surprise - but - wow!

Randy
    Randy, I don't know what came over me. I didn't regain consciousness until after it was too late and I'd already posted! I'll alert my caregivers to keep closer tabs on me.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins View Post
    Randy, I don't know what came over me. I didn't regain consciousness until after it was too late and I'd already posted! I'll alert my caregivers to keep closer tabs on me.

Tom
    hehehehe, well we were fortunate your caregivers let you run amok for awhile - Hopefully that'll happen again soon!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins View Post
    I would suggest that you notify Makemusic of the issue in hopes of having it corrected in a future update to the library.

While I'm on the subject, I originally programmed this in Kontakt 2. I checked those older instruments just now and all keyswitches appeared properly on screen for n-Basic Orchestral Percussion, n-Bass Drum KS, and n-Timpani KS. That means the error crept in during the later conversion to Aria (and was apparently never reported.) So, again, I would suggest reporting it.

Tom
    I will certainly do.
    I suspect they went lost somewhere in updating AriaPlayer (mine is v1.504).
    Fabio

Go Back to forum