• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Votox Song Demo

Share/Bookmark

Votox Song Demo

I\'m working on my first song using Votox - words/phrases created using VOTA in combination with the VOTA Utility.

At first, I had trouble getting the consonants to sound, then I switched the Utility to \"Slow\" mode, which gives them more time to develop, and they sounded fine. They were getting cutoff too fast when at Normal mode. I think Normal mode gives them only 45ms to sound, which seems way too short. So while this song is 140 BPM, I had to use slow mode to hear the consonants. If you\'re not hearing the consonants, try simply clicking \"slow\" mode first to see if that helps.

Once in slow mode, I pretty much typed in the phrases, making each syllable a separate \"word\", since that\'s how it fits the music. Then the only tweaking I did was to force up the velocity (using <>) of a few quieter consonants like T and J. Finally for recording, I added lots of reverb, hopefully not too much.

Anyway, flame away! Let me know what you guys think!

http://www.brainfevermusic.com/Votox_BrainFeverMusic.mp3

Re: Votox Song Demo

Hmmm, interesting! The music sounds good so don\'t worry there!

I\'m a little puzzled though because some of the phrases sound really good and natural (particularly at the very beginning) but then some of the ones within the heavy sections of the song sound kinda strange and very \"synthy\" for lack of a better word. Don\'t get me wrong, it\'s all quite impressive and it\'s really a step forward in MIDI/sample based production....could we be getting closer to the VR vocalist?

BTW, would you mind telling me what you used for the guitar sound? The guitars sound really convincing (watch me feel really stupid when you tell me they are real)!

Damn it, I\'ve tried to get VOTA utility to work, but it keeps firing back and forth with problems. I\'M USING CAKEWALK, and I have maestrotools as well. Someone help me. Geez. Oh, by the way, the music was very convincing. Sounds that utility is really working well!

Haha, what are they saying by the way? I think I hear: \"Hottie, who saw, become, serv.. something.\" BWA HA HA!

Originally posted by midphase:
    BTW, would you mind telling me what you used for the guitar sound? The guitars sound really convincing (watch me feel really stupid when you tell me they are real)!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yep, real guitar being cranked really loud through a real speaker cab (sorry neighbors!!) I\'ve never been too impressed with the amp and speaker sims, though they are getting better.

Originally posted by midphase:
    I\'m a little puzzled though because some of the phrases sound really good and natural (particularly at the very beginning) but then some of the ones within the heavy sections of the song sound kinda strange and very \"synthy\" for lack of a better word. Don\'t get me wrong, it\'s all quite impressive and it\'s really a step forward in MIDI/sample based production....could we be getting closer to the VR vocalist?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hmmm. What parts exactly? Maybe give some times. To my ears, the parts that are less convincing are where I have one or two voices singing, which can expose their sampled nature more. I think the big power chords (uh...guitar term applied to choir) seem to work best.

James,

I agree - the \'power chords\' work the best. The solos seem \'exposed\', synthy. Great energy in this tune, though. Keep thinking of \"The Saint\" soundtrack.

Very nice! Also like the rest Drums sound pretty cool too. I agree though that the \'solo stuff\' is not very convincing.

Yeah... when you quickly jump from one note to the next while soloing a patch like that, it certainly shows a weakness (of most sample libraries, not just VotA).

Sometimes it helps to toss in some staccatos along the way. Or heck, mask it a bit by putting in some other non-VotA instruments to ride along with it.

Though I personally would suggest rewriting it where you divide the measure equally among quarter (and half) notes as opposed to having those \"up\" beats.

Go Back to forum