• Register
  • Help

Topic: Weird Problem! Tech Heads please read!

Share/Bookmark

Weird Problem! Tech Heads please read!

I\'m putting together some tracks, mainly using guitar samples from Giga and a few sound modules. I don\'t what it\'s called, but I\'m getting a weird freq/phasing whatever thing happening! It only happens when multi tracks are played at the same time. Individually everything is fine. It sounds like certain tracks when combined cause certain notes/music/audio to become flat or sharp. The end result sounds like a wrong note was played. Really weird stuff. On certain instruments I\'m copying the track to another, hard panning each track left and right, adding a slight delay to the right track. The end result is a much wider stereo width. Sounds perfect by themselves. I\'m starting to wonder if this may be part of the reason for the phenomonononon, ok im too tired to spell right now. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I can hear this problem better when wearning headphones, it doesn\'t seem to be as bad when playing through the car stereo or regular home stereo. weird stuff... Thanks for any help or tips.

Re: Weird Problem! Tech Heads please read!

If you\'re using the same samples andjsut delayign them, then yah, you can be causing some \"comb filtering\" Try delaying more, or detuning slightly. Also with Hi Poly count it may be that MIDI timing is getting a little wierd so samples are triggering alittle \"off\" thus makign it possible that your delayed tracks are going in and out of phase.

Try mixing the track down to audio first, then delaying/detuning the actual audio track.

The delay trick IMO is only good with things you dont need extreme syncopation like acoutsic guitar strumming since you dont hear distinct notestarts and some vocals, since you can delay 3 times and EQ out the highs out pan them stereo and mix them way lower...making the accents less noticable.

If however you are using different samples, then it could be the samples themselves are a little out of tune with each other. Try also collapsing the mix of these guitars to Mono and then panning hard right/left, it may help (or make it more apparent).

\"On certain instruments I\'m copying the track to another, hard panning each track left and right, adding a slight delay to the right track. The end result is a much wider stereo width. Sounds perfect by themselves. I\'m starting to wonder if this may be part of the reason for the phenomonononon, ok im too tired to spell right now\"

Absolutely right. That\'s classic phase cancelling caused by the two identical waveforms. Even though you\'re delaying, there\'s still a lot of in/out of phase material coming in to play. What King said will help, but always check the sound in mono. Great stereo width is sometimes achieved at the expense of mono compatability. There\'s nothing liking hearing your balance totally change, or even an instrument disappear when you hit the old mono button.

The best way to solve this is to use a different set of samples for the doubles - if you have them. If you\'re using different patches from the same .gig file, chances are that won\'t solve it because the patches may only be different as far as filtering or envelopes goes, not basic samples.

Thanks for the comments.

\"Absolutely right. That\'s classic phase cancelling caused by the two identical waveforms.\"

Man, I am so close to having a total 100% virtual sound that I can be proud of and then this thing starts happening. I could leave the track in stereo without the doubling, but I lose the wide stereo width that really makes a huge difference in guitar sounds. On single note leads, there is no problem. Doubled chords seem to bring out the problem more. I do have other sounds I can use for the doubled track, hopefully I can minimize the problem. Very interesting thread, thanks for the comments guys! I appreciate it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum