• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: BAG - First Demos!!!!

Share/Bookmark

BAG - First Demos!!!!

I\'ve been working on some pianosamples for some time now, and I\'ve finally got the first beta together.
    Now, it\'s still needs some tweekning , but I very much would like you to get a glimps of the sound.

The piano are called BAG - Bigga Acoustic Grand, and I wanted to get \"Acoustic\" into it as this was a major goal for me. I really, really wanted this piano to sound just that, natural and alive!

It\'s recorded more from a listeners point of view and I used only 2 mikes to avoid all kind of phasing problems. The micplacement also made the stereoimage not so prominant as it usually is in sampled pianos, but this is on purpouse!
    The instrument used was a mid-30\'s biiig Malmsjo grand, known for it\'s full, rich tone.

The final samplesession, (I made several prior to the final to experiment with mikes, mikeplacements, preamps and such. Some material from those early session has been posted here before), where made in cooperation with Clavia who let me use their inhouse software to be able to sample the instrument in 2Db interval. With this method I was able to sample 16 velocities with extrem accuracy.

No filters or crossfading are used in these samples, there\'s simply no need for that. With 16 velocities you\'ll get extremly smooth transitions and g-r-e-a-t dynamics!

Ok, here are some mp3 demos, please note that my system are totally clogged with samples at the moment since I\'m working on 3 projects at the same time, so the occational \"click\" that appears in some of the demos comes from the overloaded system, not the samples. Here are the demos:

BAG Demo 1
    BAG Demo 2
    BAG Demo 3

...and as usuall, all suggestions/comments are welcomed! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: BAG - First Demos!!!!

Wow!!....sounds great....nice and warm...and NAAATTTUUURRAAAALLLL!!!

Looking forward to the final product!!!

JPS

wow, 16 velocities! Geez! How big is the sample Worra? Sounds very nice.

HUGE dynamic range. Impressive

Originally posted by J.P. Schwinghamer:
    Wow!!....sounds great....nice and warm...and NAAATTTUUURRAAAALLLL!!!

Looking forward to the final product!!!

JPS
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanx JP! For a first beta, it sounds quite nice.... I had a goal when I set out to sample this thing, and it\'s so great when you find the result so close to what you wanted. But it took several sessions. Anyway, I\'m glad I did it! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Damon:
    wow, 16 velocities! Geez! How big is the sample Worra? Sounds very nice.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The file is 1.36Gb, uncompressed. The reason why it\'s not bigger is that the samples are max 12 seconds. After that, they are looped.
    I made the decision to loop since I didn\'t wanted the file to be to big, with natural decay, it would have been around 5-6Gb, and seriously, most of the parts of the samples would never have been used!
    The Malmsjo are capable to produce notes that rings for over 2 minutes, and it\'s highly unlikley that anyone would use such long notes very often.
    The demos are played with unlooped samples, and I don\'t think that you got to the end of any sample in any of the examples.

I\'m also \"only\" sampled full notes and only pedal up.
    The descision to sample full note only was also a matter of size, and the reason to not include pedaldown samples was that Gst can\'t handle 16 velocities both pedalup/down, (yet... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )
    When it can, I\'ll do pedal down and offer a free upgrade path.

Originally posted by Aenigma:
    HUGE dynamic range. Impressive
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yeah, I was also quite stunned by the dynamic range on the sampled instrument. It goes from pppp, where you hardly can hear the note to full blast, and the definition is extremly good.
    I had sort of counted on to get a very good dynamic using that many velocity splits, but I was a bit suprised that it would turn out THIS good [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Worra:
    The reason why it\'s not bigger is that the samples are max 12 seconds. After that, they are looped.

Very nice Worra! Please - what loop editor did you use?

Thomas

Originally posted by SCARBEE:
    Originally posted by Worra:
    The reason why it\'s not bigger is that the samples are max 12 seconds. After that, they are looped.

Very nice Worra! Please - what loop editor did you use?

Thomas
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well, actually, the samples aren\'t looped yet, on the demos you only have the 12 second, unlooped samples, wich proves that you won\'t reach the looppoints very often....
    When looping, I always use SoundForge. Might be better tools around, I hear a lot of nice things about Infinity, but I\'m not a Mac user, (yet...).

Worra

Fantastic! Sounds like you\'re in the cathedral.

Lar

Go Back to forum