• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bizzare test!

Bizzare test!

I did something really strange yesterday, I listened to some film scores and classical recordings and pretended that they were MIDI mock-ups! I was listening with a critical ear trying to spot some \"give aways\" for them being samples.

I was kinda surprised when I found myself thinking \"wow, that sounds kinda fake\" and \"you can tell the samples are starting to break up in the high range\"

I guess the purpose of the experiment was to see how much the prior knowledge of the usage of samples influences us into finding faults.

I believe that some of the MIDI mock ups that I\'ve been hearing are so good and so convincing that a certain psychological factor must be at work for people to determine how fake it sounds. When I hear bad woodwinds or fake sounding percussion in a recording it may mean that the samples are poor, or that maybe the engineer that recorded the orchestra didn\'t use the right mikes or EQed the instruments wrong. I think we can be our worst enemies! Do you understand what I mean?

What are your thoughts?

Re: Bizzare test!

I know exactly what you mean. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I spend all my time trying to get rid of the \'suction\' in a legato string line and then I go and listen to real orchestra and what do I hear? Suction. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Brass always sounds real though, as do woodwinds but I think with all these string libraries around now we\'re actually able to reproduce a lot of string lines very realistically, but we stil think it sounds unreal in most cases - why? Because of the reverb. There is nothing necessarily wrong with the performance but the reverb lets it down.

Its possible for someone to play an instrument line as if it were made of samples, but would it sound fake? I don\'t think so.

Re: Bizzare test!

Yeah, once music is recorded and processed, the line between samples and real gets pushed. A live flesh and blood in person performance is always the ultimate in music and nothing really matches it, but once it gets crammed into a mike, then...
    Yeah Midphase, I have been doing the same exercise. It is interesting how \"sampled\" real strings can sound in a recording of live performances. Brass and woodwinds have yet to be sample-mastered, but with Maarten and Kirk (and others) on the case, it is only a matter of time. Still, we can only get close, but never really close to the live in-person real thing. And there are many advantages to live players.

Go Back to forum