• Register
  • Help

Topic: Okay, I'm seriously thinking about it...

Okay, I\'m seriously thinking about it...

I\'ve thought about this through and through, and I\'ve decided to start recording my own samples to fill in the gaps that I\'ve been having. The thing that is preventing me is the approach that I shoudl take. I\'ve never sampled anything before, so I have no clue about programming the sounds at all. Perhaps Maarten, Thomas, Kingidiot, or somebody could give me as much advice as possible and some direction into this. Danke.

Re: Okay, I\'m seriously thinking about it...

I think it would be a great thing for you to do. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] My suggestion is to get in the editor and start figuring things out.. enough messing around and you can teach yourself lots of useful things -- useful for your own libraries, and re-programming existing one to work better for you. So that\'s my words of advice... get in there and look at what have, see how the keyswitches work... get familiar with exporting/editing/reloading wavs. Make new keyswitches, cross-fades, edit the releases/attacks.....stuff like that.

A lot of cool things can be done with the samples from the existing libraries. Say you have a particular combination of horns you layer to make a nice section, try layering them up and record it in Giga. Then chop up each note and make a new instrument in the editor with it. Save yourself polyphony, and force yourself to figure that editor out. It\'s very wise to get used to working with LOTS and LOTS of .wav files, keeping them organized, making uniform edits, and importing them correctly into the editor. Better to know what you are doing when you are using custom recorded samples, so you don\'t risk screwing them up.

I can tell you this, you\'ll be much happier when programming your own samples if you\'ve made those common dumb mistakes BEFORE on less important customizations, then you\'ll get the results you want and much less frustration with your own samples.

Just my opinion, and what\'s worked for me. I\'m about to take the leap from serious custom edits to current libraries, to recording my own samples.

IT really depends on what you are sampling.

both in terms of waht instrument and what articulations.

basic sustains are the most simple to program IMO.

Short articulations are also easy to program, but harder to tune.

non-pitched percussion is the easiest to program IMO.

In fact the GigaEdit instrument wizard can take care of alot of the programming for you, it jsut depends on how well you organize your samples to help it out.

I say get Dave\'s Tutorial. It will be the perfect introduction to building sampled instruments. It will walk you through all the basics, and what most here consider advanced. The next level up is \"tweaker\" status [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by KingIdiot:
    Short articulations are also easy to program, but harder to tune.

King et. al.,
    What do you use to tune, your ear or electronics? If electronic, which product(s).

There\'s different software to help

Wavelab can tune wave file properties (any sample developer not using wavelab 4.0 is just missing out, they\'ve added a host of new features specifiacally for this)

Awave can also tune wave file properties.

Cool Edit can find thetuning but not set the propertieson its own (tho you might be able to set up a batch script)

Generally its a good idea to still use your eareven if you use these programs. Especially short articulations and exspecially worse is a sample with alot of ambience. Some instruments (usually ones requiring breath) will \"swell\" in pitch, on short articulations. The above applications will try and determine \"average pitch\" so on short ariculations those \"swells\" even if miniscule can cause problems with trying to get accurate tuning.

Good players are usuablle the best way around this [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

but even they will only do waht the instrument allows [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Some ranges are just to extreme to get perfect tones through out.

Go Back to forum