• Register
  • Help

Topic: NAB

I missed NAMM. PDX was shut down due to ice, so I missed CES. But I will go to NAB 2004. http://www.nabshow.com

And TASCAM will be there. Booth N2418.

Anybody else attending? I\'ll be there on the 19th and 20th.

I\'ll be curious to learn the latest GigaNews. And to hear GigaPulse in person. I\'ve got my license. I hope they let me drive. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: NAB

We\'ll be stuck at NAB too -- meeting with clients, etc (we\'re a music production library). \'Been going to NAB for eight years, now.

Please shoot me.

If any of you are attending you can stop by and say hi to us. We\'re at booths SL5855 and C2048. If you really want to see us lose the will to live, ask us if we write music that\'s appropriate for Bar-Mitvah videos.

I\'ll be looking forward to hearing about what you learn. Wish I had the time to attend things like this. All the booths, new technologies/toys, and colorful logos remind me of that old Candyland board game.

Well, I made it to NAB. Tascam was there, and GS3 was in the center of the Booth. I got to meet Pete Snell, see and hear the product and ask questions.

First, the bad news... June. I\'ve been known to develop and manage software projects, so I let Pete off the hook. Believe me when I say he wants it to ship at least as much as we do! No use abusing the messenger.

I asked about what libs would ship with it. Not decided yet, aside from the new Giga Piano. But Pete said it would be way more than have shipped with it in the past.

The new Piano sounded horrid. Then I looked at the EXTREME settings on the track EQ. They had EQ\'d it to death to get it to cut though the noise on the show floor. No wonder it sounded that way! The good news is that the EQ has enough gain to do some serious damage. I\'ll reserve judgement on the new piano for now.

They also played Scarbee\'s 24-bit drums. Even with the show floor noise, these sounded great - once GigaPulse was applied. When dry the drums sounded flat. Too much GigaPulse and they were wet and flabby. But there was a sweet spot that really kicked butt. My brain immediately said \"that\'s what I want my drums to sound like!\".

The drums included samples from the center/bell to the rim, and stick placement was controllable from a MIDI controller. Modulating this should add some real life to those steady rides.

Channel stacking will be awesome for drums. Rather than using the BigMaplePearlPaiste kit, you will be able to put each drum on its own track and have them all listen to the same channel. Then you can play your rides & fills from your keyboard or pads into a single MIDI track. The amazing thing will be that you can then add effects, pan and gain to each drum individually on its own Giga track. And of course you can bus as needed to cut down on the processing load. Assuming that the track compressors are nice (I forgot to ask), GS3 with Scarbee 24-bit drums and GigaPulse will be able to make some killer drum tracks.

The quickedit feature will be wonderful. One click and BOOM, you\'re able to edit the basic features of your sample. It\'s perfect for the mid-level Giga user - and a quick tool for power users as well. You can apply filtering at this level, and it looked stronger than the simple filtering available for GIG files today.

I made a point to ask to see the editor. It looks nearly identical to the old editor - except in the lower-right corner. Rather than the tabbed graphics windows, it\'s more of a property editor. And there are lots more properties than ever before. I would guess that editing many of the properties would bring up custom graphics windows. I\'m not sure exactly how deep this rabbit hole goes. (Take the red pill to find out.)

Oh yeah. Nothing crashed while I was there. No clicks or pops at all. No hesitation on the graphics. Should be pretty solid out of the box.

The feeling I got was that the product was extremely well thought out. It\'s a very professional tool with new features that add power, quicken the work pace and enhance the sounds. Standyby features like the Quicksound database - critical for foley work - remain unchanged. The layout is clean, professional and efficient. Everything looks like it will fall to hand.

For me, GS 3.0 will be well worth the wait. Let\'s send the software engineers our best wishes - and a few cases of Jolt cola for good measure!

-Jon Fairhurst

The Giga Sweepstakes

Okay .. to cheer ourselves up, I propose - a Giga Sweepstakes.
    Everyone try to guess the actual release DATE.... see who hits the mark.
    The winner get universal kudos and gets to be addressed formally as \"He / She-Who-Knows\".

My guess is July 15th (2004).

(I\'d convinced myself that it was in Beta now ... on the basis that the usual supsects just weren\'t engaging in any speculation about BETA participation.
    The silence about BETA testing is just deafening from certain members of this forum [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

(I wish FX-MAX would hurry up too with GVA. I was re-reading old posts on his forum dating back to December and November along the lines of \"nearly there now\", \"just adding final functionality\" ........... \"any day now\" .... \"within the next month\".)

Thanks for sharing Jon! Really appreciate it..
    Did you notice the specifications of the machine they were running it on?

It is comforting to know a Scarbee Imp. Drums 3.0 beta exists. Can´t wait to get my hands on it all.

But my guess, Andy, would be june 25th, for release. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Hi Nicklas,

I forgot to ask about the machine specs. I did note the monitors: JBL LSR6300 series with Room Mode Correction. Very punchy percussion.

The Scabee Imperial Beta had at least enough drums to make a full kit. It was awesome to hear the hit move from the center to the rim on the snare and toms. Cymbals went from the bell to the edge. They played it from a keyboard and moved a fader to change the sample. It put Roland\'s COSM to shame. The sound was very linear, smooth and dynamic. There was no question of the difference in sound. Hit placement and velocity are anything but subtle with this library.

I\'m hoping that Scarbee ships a lite kit with GS3. It would give Giga some nice drums out of the box, and will really whet people\'s appetites for the full package. I wasn\'t all that excited about Scarbee\'s drums from the text, but now that I\'ve heard them with GigaPulse they haunt me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I\'ll take June 21st, please.

-Jon Fairhurst

[ QUOTE ]
    I\'ll take June 21st, please.

-Jon Fairhurst

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry guys - but for this competition you\'ll need to specify the four-digit year as well as month and day. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

:repares to lose his remaining stars...::

[ QUOTE ]
    Sorry guys - but for this competition you\'ll need to specify the four-digit year as well as month and day. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dang. You caught on to one of my software engineering manager tricks. Okay, just to show that I still have confidence in the original April date, I choose April 82nd, 2004. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum