• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: TCM YFCC entry using GPO, Kontakt, Nuendo, VPS, Ozone

Share/Bookmark

TCM YFCC entry using GPO, Kontakt, Nuendo, VPS, Ozone

Hey gang,

This is my final entry for the Turner Classic Movie channel\'s Young Film Composer Competition. I turned 35 this year and now TCM says I can\'t consider myself \"young\" any more. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Anyway, I put up a Screenblast project with video and audio files in MPEG (14 MB), WMV9 (3 MB) and the obligatory mp3 format (1.4 MB).

Siren Song - Houston Haynes\' 2004 entry to the TCM YFCC

Everything was composed in a single evening (done at the last minute, I know, I know). I used GPO loaded into several instances of Kontakt (1.5.2) with the DFD extension, which is set up in Nuendo as my orchestral template. I had a single FX channel with Voxengo Pristine Space running an Ernest Cholakis Concert Hall impulse, running in real time. After the rough mix was completed, I put a bit of polish on the whole thing with the new VST version of iZotope\'s Ozone mastering plugin (mainly EQ, but a tiny bit of multi-band comp and dither from 24 bits down to 16). The mp3 file came straight out of Nuendo and the video+audio files were compressed with Sony/Sonic Foundry\'s Vegas.

Enjoy.

Re: TCM YFCC entry using GPO, Kontakt, Nuendo, VPS, Ozone

For some odd reason, I can\'t give it a shot because I live in Florida... how ludicrous.

Very cool piece H3, I just wish I would have know about the contest earlier so I could have something to submit... (actually, I knew about it but I wanted to give all you guys one last shot before I swoop in and win the grand prize every year for the rest of my composing life! Okay... reality check) - Good luck H3!

Thanks Alan, now that I\'m done with it, it\'s all yours...

Nice composition. I would love to hear it with less synthy-sounding brass though. Otherwise, great job!

Can you tell me which part, and in what way it sounded \"synthy\"? Please be as specific as you can. I think you might be mistaking your analysis with my use of the trumpet mutes and F horn mutes in certain parts, but I\'d like to be sure. I\'m really curious to understand precisely what you mean and where you think the parts don\'t come across as convincing.

Do you have any recommendation as to how that could be improved? Alan - did you notice this? You mentioned that you have a relative that played brass parts with the band Chicago. Perhaps you can play it for him and get some feedback. Thanks everyone in advance for your constructive input.

The Music Works for the Clip, only doesn´t convenced me the first seconds by woods.
    The Mix/Sound is OK, only from 0:10 to 0:17 sounds me shynth i think the ¿Trumpet? i´m not sure.
    In General i like your composition H!!,
    Hope you win.

D.M

Not bad. GPO is sounding real nice too.

I diddn\'t find the brass to sound \"synthy\" but there seemed to be a touch of the ol machine gun effect on that fast repetitive brass & winds.

That is easily solved by using alternating samples which I would think GPO might have. I know GOS had up & down bows and they created the first up & down bow alternator for that way back when.

Cheers
    Dave

Originally posted by Houston Haynes:
    Alan - You mentioned that you have a relative that played brass parts with the band Chicago. Perhaps you can play it for him and get some feedback.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yeah, my step-dad actually, he played with Chicago and Tito Puente... I\'ll try to get him to listen by tonight and let you know (I may just have him call you if that\'s cool?), he\'s never touched a computer before and couldn\'t tell you what an internet forum is. And I\'ve never touched a horn before, so using me as the middle man is grounds for miscommunication.

Originally posted by A_Sapp:
    For some odd reason, I can\'t give it a shot because I live in Florida... how ludicrous.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">It really is. Aaron, rather than focusing upon film score competition perhaps you can explore the rather large professional market in your home state - Disney comes to mind - I know that Kuno Schmidt wrote scores for many ride exhibits in Germany - I think you need a publicist and agent.

ps: I need an updated pic for your spotlight page.

Go Back to forum