• Register
  • Help

Topic: Quick question: “keyswitching” explained ?

Quick question: “keyswitching” explained ?

Can someone please precisely define the term “keyswitching”. I see this term used a lot. Is it a universal midi term of some sort? Been doing midi for a long long time but I’ve never seen this term until I came here. Guess I’m just out of touch... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Sorry for my ignorance. Thanks.

Re: Quick question: “keyswitching” explained ?

It´very weel explained here http://www.garritan.com/control.html#KS !!!

It\'s an alternative way to make program changes, using keys which aren;t occupied by samples.

You may have four or five articulations for your string sound. If you have a spare five keys at, say, the lower end of your keyboard, you just assign each key to a patch. Then you can use the KEYs to SWITCH between the programs without taking your hands off the keyboard.

Ok thanks - sounds like a very cool thing. Can this be accomplished with a hardware sampler (EMU EIV) using an external sequencer (Pro Tools)? I’d love to be able to do this! I looked in my EMU manual but didn’t see that in there.

Can someone explain more on how to setup key switching in Kontakt with Cubase SX?

Most of the work can be done in Kontakt.

If you want to switch between four different sets of samples they need to be within the same instrument, ie each set assigned to a unique \'group\'.

Once you\'ve done this, go to the \'source\' module and on the right, where it says \'On Key\' click on the drop down arrow and instead of \'always\' choose \'start on key\' once you do this a pair of value windows will open to the right. This is where you type the key/s that you want to use to trigger the CURRENT group. For example, if you have Sustained, Tremolonde, Marcato and Pizz groups, and the keys on your controller are free below C3, you might assign the Sustained samples to group 1 with a key switch note of C2 and C2 (that means ONLY C2 calls the sustained patch, not a range of keys), Trem might be in group 2 which is switched by C#2, Marcato assigned to group 3 which is switched by D2 and Pizz assigned to group 4 which is switched by E2.

In Cubase you would use the Transform function in the Logical Editor so that in real time certain keys would be transformed into program change switches.

Go Back to forum