• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A new-ish tune from Kid-Surf...........

Share/Bookmark

A new-ish tune from Kid-Surf...........

This is dedicated to the \'tune post\' haters! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Last Dance

A very minimal cue. but that\'s my schtick...... (oh, and it\'s not orchestral)

Samples are, if you care?:

VSL
    Art Vista Malmsjo
    Atmosphere
    etc...

Re: A new-ish tune from Kid-Surf...........

Can anyone tell me if I got problems with this?

You guys are a lot more smarter than me..... [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thank ya\' [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Well, I like everything about it, except that the rhythm track needs to have more interesting sounds. IMV, it\'s fine to want to have a very minimal beat, but then it becomes all about the sound. If you listen to some of the better minimal electronica music, sure there might only be a kick (and a shadow, softer on the off-beats), a snare and a synthesized hi-hat, for eg, but they are alive, and they might change their texture/colour and position in time (esp. the hat and snare) ever so slightly throughout the piece. The rest is beautiful, btw! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Originally posted by kid-surf:
    Can anyone tell me if I got problems with this?

You guys are a lot more smarter than me..... [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thank ya\' [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I´m not smarter than you but I have some suggestions...I didn´t like the attack of the C note at the 11 sec. , too sudden - maybe a short or long crescendo would be better...and I didn´t like much the mixing , the strings could be a bit louder...
    ...but I loved so much the cello phrase that beggin at 58 sec... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] !!!

This is good, though I sorta agree with Ned on the beats. At first I blamed my speakers, but the rest of the sound has an organic/synthetic mix that could perhaps be extended to the beat. I could imagine this going in a couple directions, and I\'d like to hear more.

And it\'s way better than any Donna Summer I ever heard.

Thanks guys! See... I told you, you guys were more smarter than me. I may be smart, but you guys are \"more smarter\". [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I\'m gonna have to agree with you Sharmy! The Donna Summers version sounds a \"little\" different than my take. You do realize it\'s the same song right. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I kinda like the attack of the C note. It\'s abrupt, but? I had it the other way and changed to this. Maybe it\'s too abrupt for people?

Beats: Can you guys give me an example of what you mean. Like a link (or name) of a tune. Or maybe tell me what you\'d do to process this to make it sound more interesting. It\'s already processed but I guess I
    need to process it more or add something? So you think it should evolve \"sound wise\", like with filters etc. or \"complexity wise\"? Anyway, please tip me off to a tune with a minimal sound that has in interesting beat....

BTW... what do you mean by \"at first I blamed my speakers\"?

Thanks ya\'ll!

Kid, I would just play around with the filters, esp on the snare, add some other soft kick in some of the rhythmic gaps, change the duration of the hat-like sound in an irregular fashion, etc.

As for music to listen to, I suppose early Massive Attack would be in the right ball park. I would also offer that you listen to something that is probably much more experimental that you might want to compose, but that might inspire your beat-work. It\'s a long mix by the artist Monolake, and it\'s found on the SF-based Beta Lounge web radio. Skip the intro, and don\'t be afraid to move around the mix, as the first part is long and not very beat-ish: http://www.betalounge.com/stuff/040313_monolake_de.ram

Thanks Martin!

Pual, you paid that much? J/K [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Ned- yeah I hear you. I have other stuff that is more complex beat wise, more in the vein of that stuff. I just kinda felt that I wanted to do something were the beat wasn\'t the focus with this. Sometimes I feel if you trick out the beat too much the ears start to focus down to the beat. I was trying to avoid that, but maybe I made it too stark? I was going for something where you basically ignored what was happening in the rhythm section. Anyway.. I may try to add some other elements to make it move a little more. Thanks for the info buddy!

Hey Kid,

I listened to your piece and enjoyed it! And I enjoyed it even more when I realized that you were using the Malmsjö... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Very atmospheric piece!

Hans Adamson
    Art Vista Productions
    http://www.artvista.net/

agree with martin, only problem is its too short.

reminds me of cool \"big\" depeche mode stuff.

so yah I \'m listening to it in a pop context, I hear drums kicking in and the piece just being huge, romantic and broody....

in a score context it totally works as is.

Go Back to forum