• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Best Ethnic Liberary?

Share/Bookmark

Best Ethnic Liberary?

I\'m cosidering getting Rare Instruments since but I find the price a little steap for 3 CD\'s... so I\'m wondering if their are other better/larger Ethnic liberaries... Dont mind if they are are more expensive as long as they are the best... so which is?

I value realism and expressiveness which as far as I can see what Rare Instruments has going for it...

Re: Best Ethnic Liberary?

You should also check out Ethno World. 5 cd\'s. It really depends on what type of intruments you are specifically looking for as to which library you choose. They all have their strengths. If you\'re looking for more of the ethnic winds, then I would recommend World Winds.

Tim

I too am looking for an Ethno library. I\'ve looked at Rare Instruments and Ethno World 2. EW2 seems to have more instruments. Can any one suggest any other alternatives. I\'m looking for exotic sounds like the dudek (sp?) Thomas J posted here a while back. Nice heavy percussion, and lots of cool articulations for each instrument. (Oh and it has to be $1.50 and be hand delivered by Catherine Zeta-Jones in a toga!)

Darren

Right now, I think you have to buy a few different libraries to cover it all, and I guess it will always be the case. Ethno World 2 has alot of good stuff. I would stay away from the first one. Rare Instruments is good, but doesn\'t have many instruments. It has a few gems like duduk, though. World winds is nice, but lacks many articulations. Stormdrum has alot of cool and unusual ethnic drums. Those old northstar ethnic libraries aren\'t bad (Global Instruments 1 and 2), if you can get them really cheap . I like the percussion on Voices of Istanbul, although it needs more velocities. I haven\'t heard Silk Road, but I wasn\'t crazy about the demos, but could be good. There are also some specific libraries with Chinese and Indian sounds, which I don\'t own, but they seemed a little lacking in articulations. Also there are Eric Persing\'s libraries Hoc and HoA which are decent by today\'s standards. And there\'s Culture for really good standard percussion with lots of realism. So i think you have to spend about $4000 and you still won\'t be happy. [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

k... i\'m primarily not interested in drums since I have Storm Drums.. its more the violins, bagpipes, and other exotic stuff [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I would recommend Ethno World 2 and rare Instruments, then.

Where would you get Ethno World 2?

TIA

K... just bought Rare Instruments... I guess I\'ll get Ethno World 2 next [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Nick Phoenix:
    Right now, I think you have to buy a few different libraries to cover it all, and I guess it will always be the case. Ethno World 2 has alot of good stuff. I would stay away from the first one. Rare Instruments is good, but doesn\'t have many instruments. It has a few gems like duduk, though. World winds is nice, but lacks many articulations. Stormdrum has alot of cool and unusual ethnic drums. Those old northstar ethnic libraries aren\'t bad (Global Instruments 1 and 2), if you can get them really cheap . I like the percussion on Voices of Istanbul, although it needs more velocities. I haven\'t heard Silk Road, but I wasn\'t crazy about the demos, but could be good. There are also some specific libraries with Chinese and Indian sounds, which I don\'t own, but they seemed a little lacking in articulations. Also there are Eric Persing\'s libraries Hoc and HoA which are decent by today\'s standards. And there\'s Culture for really good standard percussion with lots of realism. So i think you have to spend about $4000 and you still won\'t be happy. [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Nick you rolled your own products into an even-handed survey of the ethnic instrument libraries you\'ve either heard or have heard of. That was pretty cool. I really appreciated the way you did that.

BTW I\'ve got RI and the duduk is one of my faves. So are the multiple taiko drums. I \'cheat\' with them sometimes by underscoring the roll \'strike\' on other more Western percussion instruments to add that HUGE bottom end that drives my HR824s right into clipping.

Thanks man,

Jim

Let me add my recommendation for Ethno World 2. I saw a review of it in the March issue of EQ and ordered it the next day. Have rarely been this pleased with a purchase.

The library is well recorded, contains lots of articulations and instruments and the programming is thought out and useful right off the bat. It\'s not the only ethnic library you\'ll need, I agree, but this along with RI covers a lot of bases.

Go Back to forum