• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Kontakt5, Finale 2014 and Cubase Studio5.

Share/Bookmark

Kontakt5, Finale 2014 and Cubase Studio5.

1) I have these 3 pieces of software on my computer in addition to ARIA and all of the Garritan libraries.

2) ARIA and Garritan libraries work fine within Finale 2014.

3) I also have EWQL Symphonic Choirs.

4) I am a composer, not a computer geek, and am hoping to find someone that can tell me how (or even if) I can use any of these together.

5) Goal: To write scores with Finale 2014 and hear what is being written. So far all Garritan libraries work wonderfully that way, except the volumes (you call them velocities?) and articulations do not work in all Garritan libraries.

6) My initial thought was to write in Finale, export the music to Kontakt 5 where I could insert instruments into the score including EWQL choirs and Garritan libraries. Then use Cubase to polish the final product.

7) Is this even possible, or am I way off base.

Re: Kontakt5, Finale 2014 and Cubase Studio5.

Hi Tom,

I also do a lot of my writing in Finale, though I am trying to get away from that for more realistic results. Even then, for more complex orchestrations, I find it much easier to write into Finale so I can see exactly what is going on.

What I do is take the midi files from Finale, and export to REAPER. (You can download it as a free trial, which never expires). From there you can load up the instruments to each midi track, and then edit the midi cc data as needed.

Here's an example of a transcription I did of a video game track using this method, using a variety of different players and plugins which would prove difficult, if not impossible to do in Finale:

https://soundcloud.com/michaeldmiles/frantic-factory-1

Wrote it out in finale, transcribed the midi, then adjusted the midi cc data as appropriate for each instrument. REAPER works fine with Aria, Kontact, and Play. As you can hear, you can get a far nicer sound this way than if you sequence with Finale. I imagine you can do the same thing within Cubase. If not, I suggest trying out REAPER.

Let me know if you need anymore help!

Michael
    Warning: clicking on these links may result in spontaneous combustion.

Twitter

Soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by Michael135 View Post
    Hi Tom,

I also do a lot of my writing in Finale, though I am trying to get away from that for more realistic results. Even then, for more complex orchestrations, I find it much easier to write into Finale so I can see exactly what is going on.

What I do is take the midi files from Finale, and export to REAPER. (You can download it as a free trial, which never expires). From there you can load up the instruments to each midi track, and then edit the midi cc data as needed.

Here's an example of a transcription I did of a video game track using this method, using a variety of different players and plugins which would prove difficult, if not impossible to do in Finale:

https://soundcloud.com/michaeldmiles/frantic-factory-1

Wrote it out in finale, transcribed the midi, then adjusted the midi cc data as appropriate for each instrument. REAPER works fine with Aria, Kontact, and Play. As you can hear, you can get a far nicer sound this way than if you sequence with Finale. I imagine you can do the same thing within Cubase. If not, I suggest trying out REAPER.

Let me know if you need anymore help!

Michael
    Thank you, Michael. If I write in Finale, export midi to Reaper - does that imply that I load Garritan, Symphonic Choirs etc into Reaper?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    If I write in Finale, export midi to Reaper - does that imply that I load Garritan, Symphonic Choirs etc into Reaper?
    Yes, because is Reaper — or Cubase — that runs the various libraries/VST at the moment.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

1)
    6) My initial thought was to write in Finale, export the music to Kontakt 5 where I could insert instruments into the score including EWQL choirs and Garritan libraries. Then use Cubase to polish the final product.
    This is exactly what you should be doing. Export a midi file from Finale, open that in Cubase, load you samples in Cubase and tweak the playback using Cubase's midi tools.

Fabiolcati and Jeff. Thanks you! Off I go to try it. Someone at NI told me I had to load EWQL Symphonic Choirs into Kontakt and then load that into Cubase. It's all so confusing.

I don't know how it works in Cubase, but Reaper allows you to load up an instance of what ever sample engine you're using at the time (Kontact, Play, etc...) as a track effect. With this, you could have Aria, Kontact, and Play running simultaneously if you wanted, allowing you to have full access to your sound libraries. It also allows for you to easily swap between libraries if you decide you like the sound of one better than another for a certain part.

Hope you're figuring everything out!
    Warning: clicking on these links may result in spontaneous combustion.

Twitter

Soundcloud

...I am a composer, not a computer geek...
    To be both is a great combo, and many composers manage to wear both hats. You're a clever lad, Tom - You can become both also!

...My initial thought was to write in Finale, export the music to Kontakt 5 where I could insert instruments into the score...
    You've gotten good, helpful responses - Are you starting to unravel things since your original post, Tom? I remember on another thread or two where you were confusing Kontakt with recording programs. You know ARIA - The simplest way to think of Kontakt is that it's in exactly the same category. It's a sample play back engine. You load instruments into it, just as you do with ARIA. But these sample playback thingies need to be used inside music programs. As Michael said in a reply - you open your Cubase or Reaper, then add instances of things like ARIA and Kontakt, and start setting up the group of instruments you want to use.

In notation, much of what's going on with using various sound sources can be a bit obscure to the user, because when things work right, a lot of the set up is done by the program. DAW programs are more like blank canvases, able to be set up by the user in a myriad of ways.

Hope you're making progress.

Randy

I've tried for four days to load Garritan and SC into Cubase. So far nothing.
    Tom,

You do not load Garritan or SC into Cubase, you load/insert Aria and Kontakt into Cubase. After they are loaded, then you open Aria/Kontakt and then load your instrument of choice.

Here's a youtube that might help.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCFd-Z7arAY

...Kontakt 5 can not be authenticated because it says my Garritan libraries have not been registered. At their request I sent Kontakt my serial numbers, but they say there is no purchase record of those numbers and I must repurchase them...
    Tom, Tom, Tom - What are you talking about? Surely you know by now that the current Garritan Libraries only work in ARIA. I have no idea why Native Instruments said anything to you about your Garritan stuff - Kontakt 5 has nothing to do with your Garritan instruments. As Jeff said in his reply, ARIA is what you open in Cubase and then load with instruments. That's exactly like in Finale - when you use a GPO instrument, the program is opening it in ARIA. That's the only thing that can play Garritan instruments - ARIA is the sample player.----

Randy

Go Back to forum