• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Repeating notes - Realism

Share/Bookmark

Repeating notes - Realism

It has been mentioned by some of the pros on this board \"the dynamics of each note, specially fast passages, need to be polished to remove the synthetic effect.\"

Could anyone add to this for me. For sure, this is the one area where you can hear a \'midi mock-up\' a mile away. I am not just sure how to edit it correctly. Some tips would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Repeating notes - Realism

One technique that was shared with me that I\'d like to share is using tremelo patches along with the fast passages. It smooths it out a little bit.

To hide the annoyance of every note having the same attack and tone, the main cause of the \"fake\" sound, you can...

- Layer in another library on certain up or down beats
    - Layer in different velocities of the same patch
    - Use controls for very slight changes in attack and/or filter
    - \"Humanize\" it a bit by having an occassional note go too long/short or start early/late

Originally posted by Rob Elliott:
    It has been mentioned by some of the pros on this board \"the dynamics of each note, specially fast passages, need to be polished to remove the synthetic effect.\"
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hey Rob,

My knowledge of musical theory is almost nil, I\'ve only been dabbling with Giga for a couple months off and on, I have zero talent, and my farts stink [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] So, please don\'t call me a pro!

It happens that I just have been frequenting this forum a lot lately (hiatus from college), and whenever someone makes a question that some of the REAL PROS answered before, I just try to help by repeating some of that knowledge.

Ruben

Thanks guys for your tips (and candor - MrArkadine).

Rooftop - those are all good ideas and self explanatory. I\'ll give them a try.

A_Sapp - will the tremelo patches be able to \'play with\' the, lets say, the Sautille sample? I am concerned about losing the edge. How do you overcome that issue (if it is one).

Thanks again for your input.

The tremolo thing is a great \"Secret\".

but it will only work with certain passages. Usually really fast ones are the best.

Also editing the actual samples to be more abrupt in the attack can help.

Other things to try are altering release times as well as altering attacks on the short articulations themselves.

Also differnt filter settings for each note can help.

Generally you\'ll get repetative notes unles you start using multiple articulations

With say GOS for example. You\'re given multiple short bow variations besides jsu thte up down of one particular style. Try mixing sautille and staccatto, or sul tasto and alternating on different notes. Listen to the actual sound of the sample, and think of where it would sound best (does it accent or does it seem more relaxed)

Sometimes passages like this require construction rather than playing. Which is a shame, but probably wotn change for some time

The update package for GOS contains new short bow instruments that address precisely this issue of repetitive, rapid passages. They are called VAR (for variability), come in two versions (VAR1 and VAR2), and allow the user to vary intonation, character, brightness, and attacks. All of these can be controlled via MIDI to give a great deal of latitude during editing. All short bow files in the library (except Lite) now have VAR versions. If you are unsure of how to use these to best advantage check the VAR tutorials. They include demo audio files to illustrate what can be accomplished, along with MIDI files, screenshots, and instructions.

Tom

I\'m sick of many of you guys keeping these, \"secrets,\" of how to improve performance realism. That\'s frustrating because those of us who\'d love to learn how to do these master performances don\'t know where to start, LIKE MYSELF! I\'ve heard woodwind runs and string runs that sound ultra-realistic, and I\'ve asked the composer how did they that, but they won\'t tell because it\'s there, \"little secret.\" There are several of you in this forum who do this, and it\'s totally unnecessary. Now, not sharing SAMPLES that you\'ve recorded yourself is just fine and dandy, and of course, you have a right to say no to giving out these, \"secrets.\"

PatS

Originally posted by Tom Hopkins:
    The update package for GOS contains new short bow instruments that address precisely this issue of repetitive, rapid passages. They are called VAR (for variability), come in two versions (VAR1 and VAR2), and allow the user to vary intonation, character, brightness, and attacks. All of these can be controlled via MIDI to give a great deal of latitude during editing. All short bow files in the library (except Lite) now have VAR versions. If you are unsure of how to use these to best advantage check the VAR tutorials. They include demo audio files to illustrate what can be accomplished, along with MIDI files, screenshots, and instructions.

Tom
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Tom:

You really out did yourself with the VAR instruments. An elegant solution to a daunting problem, no doubt. And yet the new instruments seem to be invisible to most GOS users who have received their updates. Puzzling! Perhaps if you uploaded a few before-and-after mp3 demos on the GOS site, folks might actually spend some time with your excellent tutorials. Ah, but there\'s the rub. Time--who has it?

Cheers,

Pat

Originally posted by A_Sapp:
    I\'m sick of many of you guys keeping these, \"secrets,\" of how to improve performance realism. That\'s frustrating because those of us who\'d love to learn how to do these master performances don\'t know where to start, LIKE MYSELF! I\'ve heard woodwind runs and string runs that sound ultra-realistic, and I\'ve asked the composer how did they that, but they won\'t tell because it\'s there, \"little secret.\" There are several of you in this forum who do this, and it\'s totally unnecessary. Now, not sharing SAMPLES that you\'ve recorded yourself is just fine and dandy, and of course, you have a right to say no to giving out these, \"secrets.\"
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Of course, so Simon Ravn, Thomas J, Maarten Spruijt etc please post some MIDI files that reveal all your tricks and secrets......
    [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I have to say I didn\'t know the tremolo secret but I discovered it myself not long ago and then found other people were using it. I got the idea when I heard a relatively fast bowed violin line and it actually sounded a bit like a tremolo playing!

Here\'s a good trick to avoid repeated notes turning into machineguns: If you don\'t have more than one version of the note you are to repeat then play the one above or below it transposed to the correct note as the alternate. Not perfect but better than hitting the same one again and again.

Go Back to forum