• Register
  • Help

Topic: 1 Mouse for Mac and PC possible??

Share/Bookmark

1 Mouse for Mac and PC possible??

This is probably not possible, but I was curious if there is some kind of switcher out there that would enable me to use one mouse for both my giga pc and my mac. I\'d love to do the same thing with my keyboard as well. I\'ve seen monitor switchers work pretty well for guys with multiple giga pc\'s but hadn\'t heard of anything for mice or keyboards.

Re: 1 Mouse for Mac and PC possible??

Yes, it\'s possible
    Usually that switches are used with servers (several server and only 1 mouse/Keyboard/Monitor)
    . If you want to use that only to mouse and keyboard, maintainning the 2 monitors, ok too.

There are 3 types of switches (and 3 price levels). The cheapest (without power supply) are pure mecanic, having the problem that you need to start the computer with the mouse/keyb connected. If you boot both machines at the same time, you probably have problems. The second one are ok. The 3rd is smart. you use the mouse and the key to switch between devices instead of a external button (press print screen, the switch show on monitor the menu, you choose the device)

Go for the second one...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by scores4film:
    [QB]This is probably not possible, but I was curious if there is some kind of switcher out there that would enable me to use one mouse for both my giga pc and my mac.

I use the Belkin Omni 2 port cube for my Mac Seq. and Giga setup. It is designed to share monitor and mouse and maybe keyboard(not sure), between the PC and Mac. I just use it for the monitor and I keep two mouses on my desktop.

Try the Belkin website for current available options.

Good luck,
    Rick

Yes. The Belkin OmniView SE (does 4 units) is a good buy. Not sure what happens between PC and Mac.

Larry

You need a special Mac adapter (I forget the Belkin part #). I found one on eBay for much less than the normal discount price. Another option, if your PC and your Mac both use USB for keys and mouse, the USB version might work without the adapter, but I\'d talk to Belkin before buying that version.

Concept works great, but I stopped using it because between the Mackie console, HDR214/96, Mac sequencer and PC Gigastudio, it was WAY too much switching. I now use one rig for PC, one for recorder/console and one for Mac, and that has proved the most productive environment-for the way I work. YMMV.

Dasher
    Dasher

jkrans

You can share the keyboard as well fairly easily. I\'m using a CompuCable USB/VGA switchbox with my Mac keyboard connected via the master USB connection on the switchbox and a Logitech USB trackball connected to one of the USB ports on the keyboard. The other two USB connections on the swithbox run to each system. This works pretty slick as you can flip back and forth with the Mac and PC sharing the one keyboard and mouse. Switchbox was only around $30. I\'m running XP on the PC and it detected the Mac keyboard and mouse just fine.

Jeff

Go Back to forum