• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: GOS vs Sonic Implants

Share/Bookmark

GOS vs Sonic Implants

Guys:

Just wondering what everyone thought of the new sonic Implants series. Just loaded the 13 gigs worth of stuff in -- and it sounds amazing. Very full -- very playable. Great for movie-esque/TV stuff. As a matter of fact, it\'s already been on 2 TV spots this week -- and the client (a long-time producer) actually mentioned that the strings \"sounded fuller.\"

But how do these strings compare against GOS? GOS, IMHO, are quite accurate -- they just seem less \'present\' than the SI stuff. The SI strings seem a bit hyped (but in a good way) -- lots of high end and (it seems) added bite on certain ff attacks. Again, this makes them great for TV composition and multimedia.

One bad thing -- the SI strings (if used with the releases) eat up polyphony like there\'s no tomorrow. One note on a modwheel faded 3-level contrabass patch (with releases) ate up 8 voices. One note. That\'s a bit scary. Without releases, the voice count went down to 4. Still -- with a full string section, the notes disappear pretty fast. Great. Now I\'ll need two Giga setups just for string parts.

I don\'t remember having that issue with Garritan\'s stuff.

My humble advice: Movies/soundtracks/TV stuff, use SI -- but for the stuff I where the strings are \'naked\' and listened to in optimum conditions, I still use Garritan. There\'s no beating some of his sounds, his service and his dedication to creating a solid, dependable library.

(Combining both libraries is a test I haven\'t gotten around to, yet. Only got to use SI stuff under the pressure of a deadline.)

I\'ll report on that when I get a chance.

- Stew

Re: GOS vs Sonic Implants

Seems my first guess may have been true. GOS best suited for classical orchestra, SI for Hollywood style multimedia.
    So far it seems GOS maybe covers the bases better. It will be interesting as others check in with first hand opinions. Also it looks like SI needs its own machine with gobs of memory and horsepower. Looks like the actual cost of the strings just went up...

I have personally found that boosting the GOS in the upper mid section gives them a very nice and pleasing presence for cutting through a mix with other instruments when more presence may be needed.

Kip
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

hmm well,...

GOS does use the same amount of voices in the EXP versions.

It may be that the release triggers in SI are pretty long. so they could bog down the system with poly.

I dunno, I\'ll be getting SI this week. I\'ll post my thoughts when I get it.

I have a feeling I\'lll find strengths in both. Some will be better in SI, some in GOS.

I REALLY hope that both\'s libraries strong points will work together. That\'d be the best scenerio in my case...since I bought both libraries hehehehee.

Maybe I could ask some advice from those who\'ve already tried the SI, GOS, and maybe Kirk Hunter strings?

I\'ve finally graduated from AO financially and have made up my mind to buy two string sets to compliment one-another. Just not sure which combo would be best.

SI + GOS -- SI + KH -- GOS + KH (my initial plan prior to SI)

any early thoughts here? I\'ve heard amazing demo\'s from all so far, but I\'m still leaning towards GOS and KH. Maybe its too soon to get these opinions, but this is a b-day gift from myself to myself and I\'ve got about 15 days to make up my mind, heheh. (I\'ll wait if I have to, but it\'ll be harder to justify then [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] ) I should add that I get more interested in the KH stuff every time I listen to anything Thomas B. does. Just wondering if SI should be factoring into my equation here at all?

Originally posted by MichaelAngelo450:
    Maybe I could ask some advice from those who\'ve already tried the SI, GOS, and maybe Kirk Hunter strings?

I\'ve finally graduated from AO financially and have made up my mind to buy two string sets to compliment one-another. Just not sure which combo would be best.

any early thoughts here? I\'ve heard amazing demo\'s from all so far, but I\'m still leaning towards GOS and KH. Maybe its too soon to get these opinions, but this is a b-day gift from myself to myself and I\'ve got about 15 days to make up my mind, heheh. (I\'ll wait if I have to, but it\'ll be harder to justify then [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] ) I should add that I get more interested in the KH stuff every time I listen to anything Thomas B. does. Just wondering if SI should be factoring into my equation here at all?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'d get SI + GOS if I were you. You can probably only match what Thomas can do with KH if he told you how he did it and besides a lot of the cool stuff you\'re hearing in his demo may be Prosonus strings. All the fast stuff will be anyway.

Stew, I\'m confused by the polyphony count; how can one note take up four? Even if it had 16 veloctiy layers it should only take one per note. Its notes at the same time like releases that add to the poly. I can\'t figure this out....
    [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

To get a realistic dynamics (like crescendo,...) gigastudio will play several samples at the same time (pp,p,f,ff) and then change the volume between them (layering).
    If you want to do a crescendo in a long note, you can not use only volume, and the velocity value it\'s only defined in the begining, so samples must use thing trick (that eat a lot of polyphony)...

Originally posted by Hasen:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by MichaelAngelo450:

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'d get SI + GOS if I were you. You can probably only match what Thomas can do with KH if he told you how he did it and besides a lot of the cool stuff you\'re hearing in his demo may be Prosonus strings. All the fast stuff will be anyway.

Stew, I\'m confused by the polyphony count; how can one note take up four? Even if it had 16 veloctiy layers it should only take one per note. Its notes at the same time like releases that add to the poly. I can\'t figure this out....
    [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">With a 4-layer crossfade instrument, like SI or GOS sustains, you actually use 8 notes of poly each time you press the key. 2 for each layer since it\'s stereo. Add release samples to that, and you get up to a max of 16 for each note! Playing a single legato line with SI release samples, can easily get you up to 60 notes.

Nobody has commented on one of the key selling points of SI: Ambience.
    1) How does the room ambience sound?
    2.999) Have they removed the need to do any panning?: if you just loaded and linked violins, violas, cellos and basses (all 4 ports in GS) and played a big spread out chord within the range of all instruments, would all the instruments be in their proper traditional places in the stereo field?
    3) How does it sound?

Guys:

I don\'t want to be a wet blanket here -- but there are a lot of factors in deciding on what would be the \"best\" library to get.

Honestly, I think KH, GOS and SI are great libraries. But I do a large amount of TV work and currently I use a combination of

---- Roland String Orchestra
    ---- Vitous (yeah -- believe it or not -- the violas are the woodiest sounding violas ever -- GREAT for romantic, sweeping passes AND I disagree about the ff Trombone brass samples. I love them.)
    ---- Prosonus (amazing for attacks -- the marc strings and pent brass hits are awesome)
    ---- SI (just started -- but these cut through but aren\'t intrusive)
    ---- and, my biggest secret: patch 88 (i think) on a Waldorf Microwave II synth which plays octaves follwing the contrabass parts (warning: use only when you need the orchestra to loosen your viewers teeth). Sure, it\'s not incredible \"real\" in a purist sense, but it bolsters the low end the way no other string library can.

Which brings me to my point (which I hope I have one by now): you can\'t go wrong no matter which library you buy. (Well, except if you paid $3500 for Vituous. Whew!)

Anyway, each project we all do is usually for different people with different needs, right? How many times have we been told by one client to \"pull back\" the low end just to have that person\'s boss tell us the exact opposite only minutes later? Try every day. That\'s because we write music. We don\'t cure cancer. We don\'t solve math problems. We live and die by the capricious decisions of people who might be listening to our music on the outside but, who, on the inside of their heads might be wondering if they\'re getting enough fiber in their diet.

All I\'m saying is that the best way, unfortunately, is to first assess who, on this board, does the kind of music that you find yourself doing the most often. And remember these people in future discussions.

Sorry about the pontificating, but I\'ve heard too many demo CDs where a fine string library was just used in comepletely the wrong way and ruined a great piece of composition with poor programming/patch sensibilities.

I\'m also a bit sensitive because when I started in this business I decided to go the route of the multiple Akais and multiple Vituous libraries instead of getting a GREAT deal on a Synclav. I still take time every day to kick myself.

- Stew

Go Back to forum