Altiverb vs. Acoustic Mirror

Hello,

There has been much raving about Altiverb, some even have
    mentioned that many pros have gotten a PowerMac for the sole
    purpose of being able to use Altiverb.
    On the other hand, Acoustic Mirror (also a convolver), can produce
    very good reverbs, and it is possible to use impulses produced for Altiverb
    with AM (I think Joris mentioned that). It has also been mentioned
    that AM is inferior to Altiverb (same impulses, but different algorithms).

To anybody that has the chance (Joris for example [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )
    Would it be possible to hear a side by side comparison of AM and Altiverb output
    from the same file and using the same impulse?

Ruben

Re: Altiverb vs. Acoustic Mirror

Hey Arkadine!

That would indeed be an interesting test. The best way to do it would probably be to run the same sound thru the same impulse on both plugins, phase invert the signal and compare the difference. If they\'re both as good, there should be no difference and thus no sound.

I\'m quite busy at the moment, but there\'s an RTAS version of Altiverb coming out for Protools at the end of this month, which will make it easier for me to test this (I\'m not a DP3 person )

Another issue I\'ve noted though is that Altiverb\'s format seems to use four files, whereas Sonic Mirror uses stereofiles..in the past I\'ve used these by mixing the two files together, but it remains to be seen whether that gives the same effect.
    I\'m figuring that altiverb takes opposite reflections into account; meaning that if a sound is panned 70% to the left, it would still reflect on the right wall in a real hall. Altiverb\'s second impulse file might take this into account.

So it might be a case of similar algorithms, but better or more complete impulses on Altiverb\'s side...on the other hand it might be because Altiverb is based on Lake DSP algorithms, which are considered to be the best in this field.

I\'ve also had a chance to look at the Sony hardware unit (DRSE-777) which is stunning, both in performance and price
    What would really float my boat is to get some of those impulses on Altiverb or Acoustic Mirror!!!

Cheers,

Joris

Mac VST Version this month too. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I am beta testing for the VST version and it is VERY good. I also have Acustic Mirror. The differences are in horsepower. The Altiverb plugin draws it\'s power directly from the Altivec chip and has bigger impluse files than acoustic mirror. So, while they basically do the same thing Altiverb is MUCH more powerful. You can also select from different mic\'s and mic setup\'s which is very cool.

Donnie

PS...I would be happy to test any files you guys would like if you want to send me something. Maybe I\'ll post something tonight if I get a chance

Originally posted by Joris de Man:
    Hey Arkadine!

That would indeed be an interesting test. The best way to do it would probably be to run the same sound thru the same impulse on both plugins, phase invert the signal and compare the difference. If they\'re both as good, there should be no difference and thus no sound.

I\'m quite busy at the moment, but there\'s an RTAS version of Altiverb coming out for Protools at the end of this month, which will make it easier for me to test this (I\'m not a DP3 person )

Another issue I\'ve noted though is that Altiverb\'s format seems to use four files, whereas Sonic Mirror uses stereofiles..in the past I\'ve used these by mixing the two files together, but it remains to be seen whether that gives the same effect.
    I\'m figuring that altiverb takes opposite reflections into account; meaning that if a sound is panned 70% to the left, it would still reflect on the right wall in a real hall. Altiverb\'s second impulse file might take this into account.

So it might be a case of similar algorithms, but better or more complete impulses on Altiverb\'s side...on the other hand it might be because Altiverb is based on Lake DSP algorithms, which are considered to be the best in this field.

I\'ve also had a chance to look at the Sony hardware unit (DRSE-777) which is stunning, both in performance and price
    What would really float my boat is to get some of those impulses on Altiverb or Acoustic Mirror!!!

Cheers,

Joris
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Joris,

That\'s a great idea (Getting some of the -777 impulses on a software convolver. And, it can be done, can\'t it? I mean, you just run the test tone through the Sony unit, and record the output.
    Would that be legal? I think so, the same way it is legal to record any other instrument run through any piece of equipment, and use the data for whatever purposes. I mean, after all Sony doesn\'t hold the rights to the sound produced by the -777, but rather on the underlying technology, right?
    Good luck trying to convince any of the \"fat cats\" out there that do own a -777 to copy the impulse signature though.EHEM...COUGHCOUGH Donnie? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Regarding inverting the signal on a file and substracting, that probably wouldn\'t work because I don\'t think both outputs would be exactly the same, but it would be interesting to try anyway.

All that technical info about Altiverb using 4 files for each impulse versus Acoustic Mirror\'s 2 (Is that what stereofiles means?) is interesting. I need to go to their site and read a little about their technology (I remember hearing something about quadrophony)

So, apparently there is not going to be a PC version in the near future?

Please, keep us posted about the RTAS version of Altiverb, and if you would be willing to go ahead with this test.

Take care,

Ruben

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Donnie,

Thanks for the files, the first 3 links work nicely, but the last 3 gave me a 404 page.
    BTW, that Altiverb really sounds nice and lush... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Ruben

http://www.dssoundware.com/NDFAROMNIS.mp3

http://www.dssoundware.com/SAINTETIENNEFAROMNIS.mp3

http://www.dssoundware.com/TRUMPETAM.mp3

These should work.

Hmm....sampling the Sony for Altiverb....sounds interesting! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Donnie

Donnie,

I ahven\'t listened yet, wont till later sometime, but is the AM version using the same impulse as the Altiverb version?

Nope, I did it real quick so I didn\'t figure out how to use the same impluse in Acoustic Mirror....do you?

dc

Go Back to forum