• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Some of my music and a question...

Share/Bookmark

Some of my music and a question...

http://www.netikka.net/tapani.siirtola/NWN.mp3

Here\'s my music for Neverwinter Nights mod. It is only a rough skech and song will be MUCH longer. Well I might just compose totally different song but tell me what you think.

And no, it is not a metal music [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] . I like movie music too [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

And the question: What software does game composers use? Neverwinter Nights and Baldur\'s Gate series has so fantastic music. I don\'t think that they could afford to hire a real orchestra. Or can they? Please share me your information...

Tabulius

Re: Some of my music and a question...

I\'m composing for an independent game, and I use Cakewalk. I didn\'t know this before, but if you wanted to use mp3\'s in the game, you\'d have to pay a license fee to MP3. Luckily, we got really talented programmers, and so we made our own format just as good if not better. Again, Cakewalk 9.0 is what I use, and it works great for me. Your music sounds great by the way. It strongly reminds me of the Gladiator soundtrack, which should be a compliment. What libraries did you use?

Actually, to answer your question, the larger developer houses can afford the best/established composers and have a budget for orchestras. Although not sure (I can check later) I do belive at least Baldur\'s Gate used live musicians. Metal of Honor used a real orchestra. Chance Thomas (Unreal II)(who I will be interviewing for this forum in the near future) uses an orchestra in Frsno CA near where he lives. Bill Brown uses some live musicians and some projects he used a small orchestra. Jack Wall uses musicians too. Remember, while movies were an 8 billion dollar business last year, games were a 12 billion dollar business. Some of these game companies have money and backing.

Nice music BTW, tho don\'t hold your breath awaiting comment from the hosers around here, heh heh. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hey tabbu, what\'s the mod for NWN ?
    I am actually playing NWN right now and its pretty good, id like to know more about the mod [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Kindly
    Franky
    Vintaudio Prod.
    www.vintaudio.com

Originally posted by A_Sapp:
    It strongly reminds me of the Gladiator soundtrack, which should be a compliment. What libraries did you use?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Gladiator? Wow, it must be that solo vocal [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Thanks to you all for your replys. Here\'s a list of samples:

Strings AO, Brass mixed Miroslav & AO, Vocals SOV, Percussion AO and some soundfonts I\'ve downloaded from internet.

And mod is Silver Darkness http://www.silverdarkness.com . Don\'t know when it is ready. Download the intro. That is where I\'m composing to. It is too bad that you can\'t add your own music into the actual game but hopefully there will be an addon or something like that. I\'m actually creating my own little adventure with that aurora toolset. It is great [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

And please, tell me more about those game composers. I think it is interesting subject.

Very good composition Tabbu! Nice writing. I believe we have another great composer among us now [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Keep posting more!

Damon

http://damonbbradley.tripod.com/damonbradley/

\"And please, tell me more about those game composers.\"

Well go to the GOS discussion on this forum and read the Bill Brown interview: he is one of the best (game) composers around. Don\'t listen to his music if you are easily depressed. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Matter of fact, read ALL of the composer interviews.

Originally posted by tabbu:
    It is too bad that you can\'t add your own music into the actual game but hopefully there will be an addon or something like that.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Actually, if you look in the /nwn/music subfolder of NWN, there are a bunch of .bmu files. These are just mp3s, so if you\'re feeling daring, you can overwrite these with mp3s of your own.

I\'ve always liked it when the Final Fantasy series has done orchestral music... Nobuo Uematsu is a great composer.

Michael Giacchino, who composed the Medal of Honor games, is a friend of mine, I built him some gigastudio computers with a friend of mine. Michael is a really great guy, and in my opinion, the finest game music composer... very strong pieces. Have you heard his work for the TV show, Alias? Also top-notch!

I\'m talking with some people about composing a game, which would mean getting a full orchestra... so I\'d be excited about that, and they want a fresh, creative sound... I\'m thinking about incorporating standard tonal music elements with some more risky 12-tone theory to make it sound a little darker, more chaotic.

WOW!
    Tabbu- sounds like a Titanic II candidate to me!
    Very dramatic, and very nice indeed.

Go Back to forum