• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Little question about tweaking piano samples' attacks...

Share/Bookmark

Little question about tweaking piano samples\' attacks...

Hi! I did not figure out yet how to precisely control the attack of my piano samples. I read the free tutorial and figured how this works, but still, with the lowest attack mod. level (velocity-controlled) I get WAY too much attenuation. I just want not to hear the hammer on the string when I play ppp, and be able to control the first millisecond of the samples... When I try to do this, the piano sounds like steel drums...

Is this tweaking possible? If not, then I\'m not pleased to announce that giga cannot produce a realistic piano sound (I mean fully exploit the high quality piano banks available).

Re: Little question about tweaking piano samples\' attacks...

Try setting the sample offset in the mix layer tab to 2000 then setting the attack in EG1/LFO1 to .01 or .001 something aroud there. This will start the sample 2000 samples in (the maximum) and fade in 1/100 or 1/1000 of a second. Should do what you\'re looking for. Also I\'d take off velocity control of attack. If you MUST use EG mod for control I\'d use a continuous CC like the mod wheel.

Thanks, my King! But I really need to have the velocity control the attack, so that the attenuation will slightly vary through each velocities. Example: the p velocity would gradually have less and less attack as the velocity decreases, so that the feeling of the piano can be emulated, but the modulation must be subtle. Since the EG mod level has only 3 notches, it doesn\'t seem to handle this...

If I understand well, your suggestion could help me to adjust the samples\' attack slopes without the velocity changing anything... Maybe I could turn my velocity into a controller value...? I doubt that it\'s possible tho... Adjusting the attack with another cc is not viable, since there are thousands of notes in a piano part and many are played at the same time, but sometimes with different intentions...

So it seems I can\'t get away with this...?

Could you set your velocity to control what the sample start point is (along with the attack envelope)? Then with low velocities you have the full wave playing, and harder velocities trigger the wave a few ms into it.

I\'m not certain that it would work, but how could I set that up?

This all depends on how many dimensions are used.

It is possible however. Jsut make more velocity splits all mapped ot the P sample, then with each one alter the sample start poitn. The lower the split the farther the start point.

It all depends on if you have enough dimensions

The problem with velocity control of the attack is that you dont have control of the velocity curve for jsut the EG Mod control. Whihc is one of the reasons you get the \"steel drum\" effect. Perhaps at .001 settingfor attack it will help.

I see... It makes quite complicated something which is somewhat a basic control requirement. Unfortunately, this flaw makes giga pretty inappropriate, at least in the case of the sampled piano and many other instruments too... Because we truly need a gradual attack modulation (as well as a gradual low-pass filtering-which we have) in order to give a dynamic, organic aspect to the samples we use. Without it, the result sounds pretty crude... Filtering is the heart of a sampler.

I don\'t see how I can work it around but by using another platform which permits this to be done...

Thanks for the feed back!

well,

I suggest playing with the velocity curves on the pianissimo split. It may yeild good results. As I\'m not sure if this affects the scaling on the EG Mod. There are some great way to get more filtering options and control of curves, but it requires a extra velocity splits. Possibly in Giga 3.0 there will be some fantastic ways to build greater sounding instruments.

Lets just hope some developers go back and update their libraries.

Or not, and I can do a boatload of updates and offer them as Downloads for purchase [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] heheeee [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

\"I don\'t see how I can work it around but by using another platform which permits this to be done...
    \"

Well....hehe! Funny you should mention that....Unity Session does everything that you just described in an easy to set up way, unfortunately you might be trading one set of problems (poor programmability) for another (poor disk streaming). It might be worth a try for you to download the demo off of the Bitheadz site!

Originally posted by midphase:

Well....hehe! Funny you should mention that....Unity Session does everything that you just described in an easy to set up way,
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Wow, \'easy\' and \'Unity Session\' in the same sentence - whatever next? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum