• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ballad in May

Share/Bookmark

Ballad in May

I wanted to have a piece of music that was just easy listening. So Using Band in a Box and my abilities, I came up with this piece. This piece was constructed using Band-In-A-Box with midi tracks and Real Tracks for the melody and harmonies . It was engineered in Sonar X2. Besides the RealTracks for Drums, Bass and Guitars, there are Garritan Strings, Steinway Piano, and the Omnibus Choir. I hope you will enjoy listening to this as much as I enjoyed writing it.

BTW The Omnibus Choir is the award I got thanks to Englishgent setting up the Challenge 29. This is a fun little version of a larger choir but still works quite well in the Sforzando player from Plogue.

So, here is:

Ballad in May
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: Ballad in May

Hi Rich,

A nice song, but there is obviously something wrong with the mix and the place of the instruments. The piano is very dominant and sounds in another convolution (ambience and room). The choir is very beautiful!.

Max

Very nice. I agree that you could make some changes in your mixing to make it even nicer.
    Soften the piano. Since you wish to keep it on top all the way, it is too harsh as you have it now.
    The choir is fine, maybe a change some times from the "Dominus" to either ah or oh would make it more interesting, and, it could come up a little more in places where you would feel that way...
    The rest of the instruments are hard to recognize, I have no suggestion for this, just it would be nicer if we could hear sometimes who is playing.
    As you probably remember from my posts that I have Mahler, Brahms, Dvorak kind of taste, so your style is not my cup, but giving you extra credit, in spite of my archaic taste, I enjoyed your piece, listened to it twice.
    Thanks for posting it.

Ted

First, Thanks Max and Ted for listening and commenting on this piece. All comments are welcome but when you make suggestions and critical listening comments, I especially appreciate the remarks. I did not catch the problem of the piano's lack of reverb as I was listening with my composer, performer ears. (I heard what I wanted to hear.) Also being a performer, I am used to the sound of no reverb from musicians around me. Tinnitus doesn't help either. :-) Enough of the excuses already!

Here is a version that I worked out that should sound better. Ted, the vocals now use the entire repertoire of the Omnibus choir's sustained sounds. Thanks for commenting Ted. I hope this makes it a little more interesting to the vocal backup quality. The words are not important to the song but add to the overall backup vocal quality.

Max, the piano should not sound as harsh in this version. Thanks for your comments.

Randy, there really isn't a whole lot of compression on my end in Sonar but I think the RealTracks themselves are fairly highly compressed and there is not much I can do about that other than higher live musicians to do the tracks. I did take your suggestion on the piano and notched up the reverb on it. You were correct, the CC#64 settings are working perfectly. I thought it was a problem because I stopped the piece in Sonar and the piano would continue ringing as if the sustain pedal was still depressed. And it will do that if you stop Sonar playing before the CC64 is set to off. Or I am missing a setting in Sonar that has it read forward and back for CC settings.

Thanks to all of you for commenting and helping. It is appreciated.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Great! It is a different piece now.(I would still reduce the volume of the piano a little).
    Thanks for understanding our aim to help!

Ted

I enjoyed your Ballad in May Rich.

It's kind of an inspirational, easy listening piece for me.

I'm not sure what is going on with the piano but maybe it still needs to cut through the mix more while being less dominate, if that's possible. Maybe a different piano is in needed here. I have a few sampled pianos that are specifically for pop music which have a brighter tone. I'm thinking of probably a close mic Yamaha instead of the Steinway.

It sounds like you had fun with this one.

Phil

Go Back to forum