• Register
  • Help

Topic: Get into the dark force of VotaUtility

Share/Bookmark

Get into the dark force of VotaUtility

Now that you begin to understand votaUtility, it\'s time you go deeper [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

This first version of VotaUtility was not full tuned. If you want to get great results you must get into the timers that command letters.

Go to help, try to understand well the concepts of predelay, next and off timer; change this a lot in your texts; and then edit vota.csv with excel to make your changes permanent changes in the timers of some letters...

Most of the problems that you specify (like consonants that sound too soft) should be resolved with timers instead of velocity (because some consonants could need more time to \"open\")...

Re: Get into the dark force of VotaUtility

Nuno,
    It\'s awful dark in here... I think I need some guidance. I tried your advice to play around with the values for timers in the text field... In fact, I tried the k(-15)[-20]r[25]a{20} example you gave in the help file. I must be doing something wrong. I get an error message saying:
    Syllable without vowel (voice) in \'15)[-20]r[25]a{20}-Kra-\'
    Syllable without vowel (voice) in \'K(-15)[-20]r[25]a{20}-\'

If I click OK and then try to play the word, I hear the K, when I first press a key on the keyboard. I don\'t hear anything else until I release the key and then press it again, (still nothing), then on the third press, I hear the ra sound.
    I noticed you have different brackets around what I suppose are Pre, Next, and Off fields. Is this supposed to be that way?

So then I tried playing around with the Excel file. I don\'t know what I\'m seeing in there, but I\'ll write it down for you:

1VOTA;Pre;Next;Off;Pre;Pre;Next;Off;Pre;Pre;Next;O ff;Pre;Pre;Next;Off;Pre
    2standard;30;33;30;;;;;;;;;
    3 vowels;50;100;100;;;;;;;;;

I\'ll suppose that this is some kind of header, and that I shouldn\'t change this at all. Still, I\'m not sure what I should be doing after this point. I\'ve tried the following line:

N;100;100;100
    and saved it as vota.csv

I was hoping that for the word NaN, this would:
    1) cause the a to wait longer before starting, thus giving the starting N longer to sound, (because it\'s not audible at all).
    2) cause the a to sound longer once it\'s started
    3) cause the final N to sound longer (because it isn\'t audible either).

Again, there was no effect.

In your list:

Pre Next Off
    Vowel (normal) Yes No No

This seems to say that the only effect you can have on vowels by using the excel file (or by using the timer instructions within the text) is to start the vowel later after the consonant has started, which would allow the consonant to open up more before it was masked by the vowel.

Vowel (cons. mode) No Yes Yes

I\'m still not quite sure what (consonant mode) really is. Is it two vowels joined by a $ so that the second vowel starts at a specified time after the first vowel, rather than to wait until
    you release the key on the keyboard? Anyway please explain a little more, how the vowels in (cons. mode) react to numbers in the Excel file, and where you\'d insert the numbers.

When the vowel is not the first letter of the syllable, the utility automatically considers a predelay value, playing the vowel some ms after the begin of the previous consonant.

What about when the vowel IS the first letter of the syllable?

Some examples regarding timers (considering a standard predelay of 40ms, next value of 50ms and off value of 45ms):

If these are standard values, why are the numbers in the header 33;33;30 (and what are the 9 semicolons following this entry).
    and then 50;100;100

Timers File: You can edit the file in EXCEL (you must save it as a .CSV).

Doesn\'t seem to do anything.

You can also write a standard timer (for all letters that don\'t appear in the file), writing “standard” in the place of the letter.

Should I replace the \"standard\" entries already in the file?

I hope you have a bit of time to help.
    Gabriel

Re: Get into the dark force of VotaUtility

In fact, I tried the k(-15)[-20]r[25]a{20} example you gave in the help file.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That is a academic example. Is there, not to be played, only as a stupid example showing what can be done.

I must be doing something wrong. I get an error message saying:
    Syllable without vowel (voice) in \'15)[-20]r[25]a{20}-Kra-\'.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That is only a warning saying that you have syllables without vowels (in normal mode). Since you have written a $ in the only vowel in that syllable, you are telling the utility to consider that as a consonant (consonant mode). That way when you play that syllable, you will not get any hold vowel during the duration of the note.

I noticed you have different brackets around what I suppose are Pre, Next, and Off fields. Is this supposed to be that way?.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes, {} for predelay, () for next, [] for off, <> for velocity

So then I tried playing around with the Excel file. I don\'t know what I\'m seeing in there
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Stupid regional settings. You should see all that values in normal cells(without ;\'s), but my excel (settings to portuguese) save that in a way that make you see that (one more thing to change). Edit the file in notepad.
    In the example N;100;100;100 , the first value will not do nothing (it\'s the predelay value, and it\'s not used by consonants), the second value it\'s the next timer, and the next is the off value.

\"What about when the vowel IS the first letter of the syllable?\" In case that, no predelay exists (talking like Yoda)

\"Should I replace the \"standard\" entries already in the file?\" Yes

The best way to try timer (to see what they do\", it\'s having big values (simillar to 1 second). Some examples (listen and try to understant):

Vowels in consonant mode:
    \"ao\" (equals to ao$) vs. \"o\"
    \"ve\" vs. \"ve$\"

Predelay
    \"a{400}\" vs. \"a\"
    \"ve{400}\" vs. \"ve\"

Next
    \"vre\" vs. \"v(400)re\"
    \"vzsa\" vs. \"v(400)z(400)sa\"

Off
    \"ve$\" vs \"ve$[400]\"
    \"z\" vs \"z[400]\"