• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Sample Library Prices

Share/Bookmark

Sample Library Prices

I have bought a lot of sample cd\'s.
    If i where to pile them in two separate piles...those that a worth the money, and those that are a rip off...the piles i reckon would be just about even.

I dont know how many times ive been stung.
    Whilst ive supported the producers of these libraries, some of which i have earmarked as those that do good work and those that i dont want to see or hear again...

I have protected these producers from the pirates by buying my licence. But when the cd arrives and its crap...who protects me.

The prices for most of these libraries are outrageous. Few exceptions IMO

Re: Sample Library Prices

I\'ve followed the threads about sample-cd prices with great interest.
    I\'ve made a rule to never comment on anything else but our own products, so what I\'m saying here is really my opinion, as a musician and as a sample-cd producer.
    First of all, let me state what has been stated before in this debate:

If everybody in the whole world was honest, then we wouldn\'t have this problem.
    Unfortunatly everyone isn\'t.....

I suppose that people can be unhappy about sample-CD\'s for many different reasons, they can:
    a; find errors in the samples, like bad loops, noicy samples or similare
    b; think that the collection isn\'t worth it price because there are limited possibilities to use it in the projects that the customer is working on
    c; simply don\'t like the way it sounds, i.e \"I don\'t think a trumpet should be recorded this way\"

As for Bigga Giggas, I can say that anything that falls under the category a; above, we always try to fix, and if we can\'t, we have always let the person return the product. This is very simple. If a customer finds an actual error, a bad loop or something, we should really be thankful for him/her pointing that out to us so we can fix it.

The real problem, as I see it, is the other 2 categories. For this, the only thing would be to let peopla try before they buy, and it\'s then the problem with dishonest people comes into the picture.

I won\'t go into the reasons and discuss piracy again, since I think we all are aware of that and the proble it causes.

The problem remains. How should I make a fully functional test-version of a CD knowing that it can\'t be pirated.
    I have this idea.
    If one made a version, where all samples had a beep in them. A beep that couldn\'t be removed. The beeb, a sinus note, would have the same pitch as the sample, but maybe a octave higher, so it wouldn\'t be THAT disturbing in a musical context.
    The beep would be low enough compared to the sample so that you could judge the quality of the sample, but loud enough so you couldn\'t use it in a piece without people wuld know about it.
    To place a complete CD, with beeps, up for downloading, would be to expensive. Bandwidth costs...
    But if we where to offer it from our online store for a price that only covered material, handeling and shipping, would this be interesting?

Worra,
    Vitous had nearly the same idea. In his demo audio cd of the Symphonic Orchestra samples, to be absolutely sure nobody could anyway use the sounds, he recorded a continuos twittering of birds ...

Originally posted by starobin:
    Worra,
    Vitous had nearly the same idea. In his demo audio cd of the Symphonic Orchestra samples, to be absolutely sure nobody could anyway use the sounds, he recorded a continuos twittering of birds ...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Now THATS a good idea! A non-musical sound that can be added so it won\'t distrurb the original samples. I like it! Still, would these kind of evaluation copies help?

Adding birds is probably ok, I guess. Just adding a sine or something similarly simple is dangerous because one can most likely remove it without leaving a trace.

Yep, I\'m aware of the possibility to remove a sinewave. But I guess that would be a lot of trouble, and you wouldn\'t end up with perfect samples.
    Let\'s face it: All of our CD\'s can be downloaded/purchased from pirates! That\'s a fact. It will always be that way.
    The people who get\'s their samples that way will never, (with a VERY few exeptions), pay for the real stuff. I tried adding birds and also some noice from a stream, to the samples, but when taking a chord, you\'d get a awful lot of birds, and the quite stream ended up being a waterfall...

The sinustone, at the same pitch as the original samples, makes the instrument playable, and you, as a potential customer, gets a chanse to actually test the stuff before you buy it. At the same time, the sinustone, makes it possible for us to hear if the samples been used in a non-testing situation.

I\'m not saying that we are going to do this, I\'m just testing different ideas here.
    I\'ve uploaded a full Trombone patch from BoB, it\'s just the Forte layer, but it has all the notes in it + a sinus note mixed in. You can DL it from www.worrasplace.com, just click on the word \"Peace\" at the startpage. The link will be active for 24 hours from now. It\'s about 16Mb and a self-extracting exe file.

Download it and see what you think. If it works, maybe we could offer you to get evaluation copies of some or all of our stuff, with this sinusnote mixed in buy buying them from our online store. The price would be around $4-$5 + shipping and would only cover material and handling.

Sooo, let me know your thoughts about this!

Worra, I would love to try out the bone but it looks as if your site isn\'t working(?)

Thomas

Originally posted by Thomas_J:
    Worra, I would love to try out the bone but it looks as if your site isn\'t working(?)

Thomas
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">It does now!

I find this to be an excellent idea! It certainly seems like a very feasible plan.

I would like to discourage other participants to add paranoia in the developers\' minds, we are all fully aware that where there\'s a will there\'s a way, but let\'s not go shoot ourselves in the foot! What we want is try before you buy, so either Nick\'s idea or Worra\'s sound good!

I hope more and more developers are moving in this direction!

Keep the good ideas coming guys.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by monolith:

The prices for most of these libraries are outrageous. Few exceptions IMO
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">This is not true.

The most expensive libraries on the market cost a fraction of a single session with the equivalent studio musicians. In fact, I don\'t know of a single library whose cost can\'t be recouped with a single project. From that point forward, it\'s pure profit.

Try that with session players...

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast