• Register
  • Help

Topic: Simon - Sonic Implants Demos

Share/Bookmark

Simon - Sonic Implants Demos

Wow Simon. Those demos sound great! I especially like the Full Orchestral piece.

Can you tell me what percussion, harp, horn and wood samples you were using?

Also what were you using for reverb? Are you putting the Giga outs into a mixer or are you going directly into your sequencer and doing the reverb from there? What is your wet/dry signal ratio?

Re: Simon - Sonic Implants Demos

Originally posted by Simon Ravn:

I record the reverb alongside the dry signal, through myx mixer using outboard Lexicon MPX1.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That is a great idea! Do you records all the instruments at once or do you track by sections? i.e. strings, woods, horns, perc.
    In other words do you end up with one stereo dry track and one stereo reverb track. Or do you have a dry track and a reverb track for each section.

Also do you use #7 or #11 for expression? Do you draw the data in or do you perform it? If you perform it, what input device do you use - breath, foot, slider?

What is your opinion on the GOS Library vs. Sonic Implants? What are the weaknesses and strengths of each one?

I think your piece sounds better than Jeremy Soule\'s GOS demos. Great composition too.

Thanks Wacky (that\'s not something you normally get away with saying, is it).

Horns are AO I am pretty sure. Percussion is Ultimate Timpani and Ultimate Orchestral Percussion. Woodwinds AO and Miroslav, harp is X-sample.

I record the reverb alongside the dry signal, through myx mixer using outboard Lexicon MPX1.

Originally posted by Wacky:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by Simon Ravn:

I record the reverb alongside the dry signal, through my mixer using outboard Lexicon MPX1.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Do you records all the instruments at once or do you track by sections? i.e. strings, woods, horns, perc.
    In other words do you end up with one stereo dry track and one stereo reverb track. Or do you have a dry track and a reverb track for each section.
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">It varies a bit. Sometimes I record the reverb and dry signal separately, sometimes I just record the mix. I usually record in a few different takes for percussion, violins/violas, cellos/basses, woods, brass etc.

Also do you use #7 or #11 for expression? Do you draw the data in or do you perform it? If you perform it, what input device do you use - breath, foot, slider?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I use mostly CC11, sometimes a little of CC7 too through Logic\'s automation. I record the CC11 data with a slider on my keyboard and tweaks it if it needs any tweaking. For SI strings, like GOS, you use the modwheel more than CC11 though, when you use MW x-fade patches.

What is your opinion on the GOS Library vs. Sonic Implants? What are the weaknesses and strengths of each one?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">This one I am not ready to comment on.

I think your piece sounds better than Jeremy Soule\'s GOS demos. Great composition too.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks a lot!

Nice trick to record reverb separately! I was considering to do a test mix once in a studio with AltiVerb, but this way I could just \"get\" the verb for tracks of track groups and mix at home. Can save some bucks. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers,

Go Back to forum