• Register
  • Help

Topic: How do you customize your sounds?

How do you customize your sounds?

Hey guys,

I am really curious about what tricks you use to customize a particular library to your needs.

For example, do you add more real-time controller performance to add realism?

Do you tweak the envelopes?

Do you edit the actual samples?

Please be as specific as possible, I am sure there are some great tips and tricks to be shared! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: How do you customize your sounds?

Wow...this topic is going nowhere!

Am I correct in assuming that the majority of you guys out there pretty much use the libraries as-is out of the box?

Ok, here\'s a question, do you prefer to use the mod. wheel strictly as an LFO vibrato controller or do you use it for oscillator xfades or volume ramping?

I really wanted to reply to this earlier...but I ahd no place to start. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

About Mod wheel. Since I generally hate LFO vibrato, I use it for other things, anything from Xfades (most common) to Dimension switching, which can be for jsut plain variation in the smaple, or actual articulation switching.

I tend to do alot of sample editing as well. to get variations in attacks or make portametno/bends into notes....or take them out [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Also do alot of mixing patcehs together and makigna completely new gig out of that. It helps me save pooly from layering and get great sounds [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I was thinking about mapping xfades to aftertouch for crescendo effects. Aftertouch seems to get ignored by a lot of people. Only bad part is that you don\'t get as much control as using the mod. wheel.

I agree with you on LFO\'s sounding fake. Xfading between non vibrato and vibrato sample layers can work, but I think it\'s important to keep an ear out for phasing problems.

And of course the whole release sample trigger seems interesting. I want to try and apply it to some flute samples to simulate a very faint opening of the valve. I can also see using it for guitar samples to add some string noise.

It\'s kinda funny that what most players consider to be imperfections that they wish they could get rid of, us sample guys want to add!

One of the first things I do is simplify the library as much as possible. I kill all the variations I will never use and delete .gig files from the drive if I won\'t be using them. Also, since I want a lot of nice large libraries available but don\'t have that many computers, I also like to spend some time reducing their size a bit. I\'ll take chromatic sample libraries and cut out half the samples believe it or not to get double the load. I can really get more out of the extra instruments than the extra notes. I don\'t cut down velocity splits however since they are really usefull. Crossfade crecendos are real nice and I will sometimes do custom keyswitches too. Sometimes a little filtering helps too. Many of these libraries are quite nice right out of the box though and I also realize that people can be intimidated by the editor. (Of course my tutorial can help explain that real well)
    Take care

The three things I find myself doing constantly are:

1. Copying instruments and making envelope adjustments. Usually attack and release. As copies take up no space, I make a nbew one for any job which requires a different envelope.

2. Adjusting velocity split points. As nice as it is to have 32 samples of a drum played at different levels, quite often I find my playing \'sweetspot\' doesn\'t fire the samples I like the sound of the most. To fix this I drag the velocity boundaries around until I\'m playting the samples I want to hear without much trouble. Sometimes I\'ll end up with a single sample covering 70% of the velocity range.

3. Layering sounds which I\'ll always want to use together.

\"One of the first things I do is simplify the library as much as possible. I kill all the variations I will never use and delete .gig files from the drive if I won\'t be using them.\"

That\'s a very interesting point David. I am curious about which variations generally tend to be the ones people use the least. For example, the Warm patches in GOS....does anyone use these. It would seem to me most people would want to retain the realistic sound of the string samples rather than filtering them for a more synthy sound?

I also tend to customize control attributes. Like EG Mod controllers. I try and always keep Attack control on GPC-1, and release on GPC-2. I\'m trying to work with developers on making this a standard approach, so it can be the same accross all keyboards. This is ofcourse, until Giga can assign more MIDI CC, in which case I\'d like to use the \"standard\" MIIDI controllers for stuff like the ADSRcontrol and \"brightness\"/filter control as well as resonance control, notreally lfo vibrato control tho. the Mod wheel is used for so many things now.

Go Back to forum