• Register
  • Help

Topic: DVD-Audio Authoring

DVD-Audio Authoring

There have been some threads about authoring 24/196 and/or 5.1 audio on DVD-Audio discs. The solutions I\'ve seen have been in the hundreds of dollars.

I just read about some basic DVD-A authoring software for $99. The bad news is that it\'s not due until late June, and it\'s only for the Mac.

It\'s also limited to 48kHz for surround mixes and doesn\'t allow photo menus. But it will do 24/192 stereo audio, which is enough for many of us.

I\'m a PC guy, so this will do me no good, but it will be nice to see the price of DVD-A authoring come down to the hobbyist-level.

Re: DVD-Audio Authoring

If you don\'t do specials for dogs, I would just settle for 44.1 / 24 [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously, if you don\'t use top pro equipment, there is absolutely no sense in wasting space/bandwidth by going beyond 44.1 or 48.

I think at this moment, DVD authoring is still a niche, for which you have to pay. I\'d wait until the Porche becomes a Volkswagen.

It says it\'s a Windows program:

Originally posted by hv:
    It says it\'s a Windows program:

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Cool. I got my info from an article in Pro Audio Review. The author came at it from the Mac side. Now that I re-read it, I see that he never wrote that it *didn\'t* work on the PC.

Very cool.

Regarding 192 kHz vs 44.1 or 48, I certainly agree that 24-bits is where the value is. The nice thing about the higher sample rate is that it avoids brick wall filters that can cause phase errors at high frequencies during playback.

Of course if all the samples are 44.1, the output might as well be 44.1 as well.

Whatever. $99 for DVD-A authoring means that I can be a high-res audio producer. Very nice.

Originally posted by JonFairhurst:
    I got my info from an article in Pro Audio Review. The author came at it from the Mac side. Now that I re-read it, I see that he never wrote that it *didn\'t* work on the PC.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well the part that I don\'t understand is that... it\'s not even for Mac!!! [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

That high end sampling rate can come in handy for all your processing of audio while you work on a project. Then you can dither down to 44 or 48k. For simplicity, if you know what your final sample rate will be, you would ideally record and process & edit in double that. (96 or 88.2) Thats where high end sample rates make the most sense to use. Also great for mixing. If you are high resolution and your system can handle it, what a great way to mix if possible. Keep it as high end as you can until the very last step and then use the very best dithering you can find.

It used to be considered best to stay with even numbered sample rates in order to make for even mathematical conversions, such as 88.2 to 44.1 and 96 to 48, but according to the experts, it is best to go for 96 even if you are ultimately going down to 44.1 because newer sample rate conversion processing supposedly will up-sample 88.2 audio to 96 before bringing it down to 44.1.

Sample rate conversion and dithering are two completely different processes. You should always down-sample first from 96 or 88.2 to 44.1 before dithering the bit depth from 24 to 16 bit. If you are working with 24/96 audio for a CD project, you should first of all sample rate convert from 24/96 to 24/44.1 with the highest quality sample rate conversion process possible, and then dither the 24 bit 44.1 audio to 16 bit 44.1 with the highest quality dithering algorithm available, such as using POWr dither.

Many people are not very clear as to the difference between bit depth and sample rate. The easiest way to understand this concept is that audio bit depth is similar to the number of pixels (detail) in a still picture, while the audio sample rate is comparable to the number of frames per second in video. With 96k audio you are hearing 96,000 instances of audio per second, and with 44.1 audio you are hearing 44,100 instances of audio per second.

When you have solid digital synchronization, you are hearing 96,000 instances of audio per second at a perfectly even rate with 96k audio, whereas if you have jitter being introduced into the signal you are hearing these 96,000 instances of audio per second at an uneven rate that is not smooth. Listening to music audio with low quality digital synchronization is like watching a movie where the film is not flowing evenly and smoothly past the lens in a projector.

Kip McGinnis
    Bardstown Audio

Originally posted by Ned Bouhalassa:
    Well the part that I don\'t understand is that... it\'s not even for Mac!!! [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Weird. Here\'s the title and first paragraph from page 6 of the March 2004 edition of Pro Audio Review.

---Publisher\'s Page---

DiscWelder Bronze gets the Gold, by John Gatski

By early summer, a small, but significant step will be taken in the world of PCM high resolution audio: the advent of low-cost software for Macintosh that will produce reference quality DCV-As from your DVD burner.

Now, he didn\'t write that it\'s not for the PC, so that assumption on my part was wrong.

The website only mentions the PC. I guess we can\'t assume that it won\'t be for the Mac. Then again, how many times do you ever read \"not for Mac\" or \"not for PC\"?

Hmmm. There\'s no mention of Linux on the website or in the magazine. Maybe we should assume that software is for Linux only. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

BTW, the article mentions that \"Steel\" will also be released in the future for the Mac. More great news for Cray owners!

I\'ll write to Mr. Gatski and let him know about the confusion.

Central Point, Oregon

Yeah, a pretty glaring mistake! Minnetonka\'s products have always been PC-only. I couldn\'t find any mention of future Mac releases on their site. Is it there somewhere?

I got a response from the author. He didn\'t focus on the PC, since that platform has been traditionally supported by Minnetonka.

I sent a reply suggesting that he contact them about the lack of Mac information on the website.

Go Back to forum