• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: POLL: Which would you rather...

Share/Bookmark

POLL: Which would you rather...

Okay,

For a while now I\'ve been trying to brush up on my orchestration skills. But I\'ve been going at it backwards, I\'ve been listening to and trying to study music I don\'t know.

So, to practice my orchestrating and programming skills, I have decided to focus on an area of music I DO know, and know well; Pop/Rock.

So, my question to you guys, because I don\'t want to spend years doing this with every song that I like, I have narrowed the list down to seven. With your guys\' help I\'d like to narrow it down to three.

Which of the following would you like to see me orchestrate and program for an orchestra:

Eminem\'s \"Lose Yourself\"
    Beatles\' \"Elenor Rigby\"
    Britney Spears\' \"Toxic\"
    Radiohead\'s \"Karma Police\"
    Smashing Pumpkins\' \"Tonight\"
    Pink Floyd\'s \"The Trial\" (from \"The Wall\")
    or this year\'s Grammy award winning track: Outkast\'s \"Hey Ya\"

I\'d appretiate your vote. Thanks in advance.

Re: POLL: Which would you rather...

I think an orchestrated version of Karma Police would be the most promising out of the ones you mentioned.

Eminem\'s \"Lose Yourself\"

Radiohead\'s \"Karma Police\"

Smashing Pumpkins\' \"Tonight\"

Choco, post you Radiohead tune.....

Thanks guys,

A buddy of mine saw the post and wrote me an e-mail: \"Do the Pumpkins or Floyd, the rest of those songs suck...\"

Just thought I would share [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I\'m leaning towards Radiohead\'s \"Karma Police\" for sure, anyone else care to cast their votes?

No Queen [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] ?!?! No vote... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] !!!

Ever hear Strung Out On OK Computer? A string quartet did some pretty interesting renditions of some Radiohead stuff a while back, and there was some really cool stuff in there. Some not so cool stuff as well, but over all worth a listen, expecially if you dig Radiohead. I remembered liking the Karma Police track, though I think far more interesting things could be done with it, so I would vote for that.

I just went looking and also found this on amazon:
    Enigmatic: The String Quartet Tribute to Radiohead

Kinda fun to hear how the music is adapted, and the solutions they came up with to some of the problems in translation.

mike

I thought the string quartet arrangements were very boring. Nothing creative, just hack jobs from guitar tablature books maybe.

Anyhow, check this out .... Christopher O\'Riley plays Radiohead (piano).

http://www.truelovewaits.cc/

The first listening is very fun, then it wears thin after a few listens.

Alan, explain what you consider \'working backwards\' ... i dont think your current idea will help you fill the gaps in your knowledge. Do it like it has been done for centuries. Take a score that your are familiar with and copy the entire thing by hand!!! If you are not so familiar with classical music, then maybe you simply need to familiarize yourself with the essentials.

Taking a rock tune with simple progressions and melodies won\'t give you the insight of writing parts for orchestral music.

Good luck

SWL

SWL wrote:

Alan, explain what you consider \'working backwards\' ... If you are not so familiar with classical music, then maybe you simply need to familiarize yourself with the essentials.

And I am right now, listening to a lot of the composers I enjoy, trying to become as familiar with their works as I am with the works of say, Floyd or Nine Inch Nails (both of which I could tell you their complete catalouge in my sleep).

But I am also part of the \"instant-gratification\" generation and wanted to get started on something right away, once I know the classics/standards a bit better, then I can work on those (look for my future post, Beethoven\'s Moonlight Sonata for string quartet [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )

I felt I was working backwards because not only was I trying to learn a new talent (orchestrating) but I was also trying to learn the scores I was orchestrating from. Here I knock out half the chore by starting with pieces I\'ve already memorized.

SWL also wrote:

Taking a rock tune with simple progressions and melodies won\'t give you the insight of writing parts for orchestral music.

I know, but it will give me insite on how to take a part I hear (whether it is my own part in my head, or a vocal line, or a guitar riff) and assign it an orchestral instrument, which is what my understanding of arranging is(?)

Thanks guys for your votes, I started playing with Karma Police last night, and I did a little Britney Spears, which I posted under a new thread called \"DEMO: GPO goes pop/rock...\"

Ick, Eminem\'s a disgrace to mankind as far as I\'m concerned. He doesn\'t make music he makes ****! Elenor Rigby would be interesting to hear with a whole orchestra.

From that list: Radiohead.

Also, another nice exercise: just take any melody from any song/piece and orchestrate it, also piano solo music is great to explode.

Go Back to forum