• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A Birthday Medley For Bill and Rich Rayer: "Sweet 'Lorain'" - "Moon Over Parma"

Share/Bookmark

A Birthday Medley For Bill and Rich Rayer: "Sweet 'Lorain'" - "Moon Over Parma"

Hi Friends,

I worked up a short medley this weekend for a couple of this forum's biggest contributors, Rich and Bill Rayer, who are celebrating their birthdays today ... Happy Birthday, Guys!

With tongue firmly planted in cheek, I chose two Cleveland-esqe classics ... "Sweet 'Lorain'" (with apologies to Cliff Burwell and Mitchell Parish for changing "Lorraine" to "Lorain" (as in Lorain, Ohio ) and "Moon Over Parma" (another Cleveland suburb, and the original "Drew Carey Show" theme song, composed by Bob McGuire).

CLEVELAND AREA MEDLEY - "SWEET LORRAINE" and MOON OVER PARMA"

Besides being talented composers, arrangers, and educators, these cats also PLAY! I scored the medley for the brother's instruments: Bill on trumpet (cup mute on for "... Lorraine", and open on "... Parma"), and Rich on clarinet and tenor sax.

Piano, bass, and drums round out the combo, with an accordion added for "... Parma").

JaBB, GAS, with GPO clarinet and Session Drummer 3. Created in Sonar X1.

This is fun, light music ... easy swing and polka ... hope you all join in and enjoy the arrangement and once again, Happy Birthday Rich and Bill!

Frank
    Frank D'Erasmo
    FABD Music - Arrangements-Orchestrations
    All Styles ... Specializing in Jazz, Theater, Latin & Pop

Garritan JaBB, GPO, CoMB, World, GAS, Stradivari Violin & GigaStudio. Sonar X2 Producer, Pro Tools, Performer & Finale.

Re: A Birthday Medley For Bill and Rich Rayer: "Sweet 'Lorain'" - "Moon Over Parma"

What a wonderful surprise! Thanks Frank for such a fun birthday gift!

It is so much fun being part of this forum. You all are the best and Frank you really put the icing on the cake!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: A Birthday Medley For Bill and Rich Rayer: "Sweet 'Lorain'" - "Moon Over Parma"

So, Parma is a Cleveland suburb?
    You must visit the original one here in Italy: what a birthday gift it will be!
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

.... and now I can see both playing with this great and joyful piece. Two grumpy old guys dancing.... and swinging. Great present and it even didn't come with Parmesian Cheese or Parma Ham.......

Raymond

Congrats Bill and Rich!

I envy you guys being able to produce such lovely jazz music. This is not my cup of cheese (...tea), but I enjoy it immensely, and even more with a little accordion added to the swinging tune.

With huge respect and gratitude to Frank D for the lovely treat (for us as well)!

Max

Why Frank, you old devil. That was fun. Thanks for the honor. Though, I think I sound better (musically speaking!)

A fun little arrangement.

Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Hey Again, Friends ...

So glad you all gave this little chart a listen! Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------

Rich ... You're welcome; hope you had a nice birthday.

Fabio ... Hahaha ... You mean there's a Parma in Italy too? Only kidding! Maybe I'll arrange it for you as a tarrentella for your birthday.

Raymond ... You never cease to crack me up! Now I can't get that vision out of my head, although from what I've heard of them on this forum, nobody would ever call Bill and Rich grumpy! And this tune DID come with cheese and Parma ham, but the musicians ate it all ... you know, that's how jazz guys are!

Max ... Thank you so much for your kind and supportive words! You are most welcome and thanks for listening. I'm glad you like listening to jazz, even if you don't dabble in it. Just another wonderful part of this forum is the diversity and respect between the musicians: We all listen to and I think almost always enjoy each other's offerings, even though they may differ considerably in genre and style. I think it was Louis Armstrong who said " ... there's really only two kinds of music ... good music and bad music!" Amen!

Also, happy to hear you liked the accordion! If I recollect, you are a performer on the accordion? I grew up hearing a lot of Italian-American kids playing the instrument, and I was always intrigued by the sound, particularly live. Plus, because of its portability before the age of electronica, it was a fairly common gigging instrument in American Italian, French, German, and Polish ethnic combos (or just solos and duos!).

Bill ... Thanks for enjoying your birthday jazz! And I learned a long time ago if you're going to be old, you may as well have some fun and be a devil! Yeah, Bill, I'm sure too that you sound better than "Trumpet 1 Key Switch", but he does work for scale ... and you don't!

At the least, now I have something to play next time we pass through Lorain on 80/90 en route to Chicago! Rock-on, Cleveland-area musicians! Rock-on!

Frank
    Frank D'Erasmo

Garritan JaBB, GPO, CoMB, World, GAS, Stradivari Violin & GigaStudio. Sonar X2 Producer, Pro Tools, Performer & Finale.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    Bill ... Thanks for enjoying your birthday jazz! And I learned a long time ago if you're going to be old, you may as well have some fun and be a devil! Yeah, Bill, I'm sure too that you sound better than "Trumpet 1 Key Switch", but he does work for scale ... and you don't!

At the least, now I have something to play next time we pass through Lorain on 80/90 en route to Chicago! Rock-on, Cleveland-area musicians! Rock-on!

Frank
    Well, the next time you pass through Lorain on I80/90, stop by we are only a mile or 2 north of the turnpike in north Amherst!

Again
    thanks for the musical birthday gift.

Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    Hey Again, Friends ...

So glad you all gave this little chart a listen! Thanks!

Rich ... You're welcome; hope you had a nice birthday.

Fabio ... Hahaha ... You mean there's a Parma in Italy too? Only kidding! Maybe I'll arrange it for you as a tarrentella for your birthday.

Raymond ... You never cease to crack me up! Now I can't get that vision out of my head, although from what I've heard of them on this forum, nobody would ever call Bill and Rich grumpy! And this tune DID come with cheese and Parma ham, but the musicians ate it all ... you know, that's how jazz guys are!

Max ... Thank you so much for your kind and supportive words! You are most welcome and thanks for listening. I'm glad you like listening to jazz, even if you don't dabble in it. Just another wonderful part of this forum is the diversity and respect between the musicians: We all listen to and I think almost always enjoy each other's offerings, even though they may differ considerably in genre and style. I think it was Louis Armstrong who said " ... there's really only two kinds of music ... good music and bad music!" Amen!

Also, happy to hear you liked the accordion! If I recollect, you are a performer on the accordion? I grew up hearing a lot of Italian-American kids playing the instrument, and I was always intrigued by the sound, particularly live. Plus, because of its portability before the age of electronica, it was a fairly common gigging instrument in American Italian, French, German, and Polish ethnic combos (or just solos and duos!).

Frank
    Indeed, I am an accordion player. I prefer the classical way, but I can enjoy the light music and jazzy scores. The modern accordion is a very rich polyphonic instrument. It can easily perform 4-5 voices at the time within the range of 5 octaves and even more. The bellows gives opportunity to play with highly delicate dynamic variations and phrasings. I have a digital instrument (by Roland) at home, but it is really a pity that it doesn't communicate the dynamics to a DAW when recording. (And the regular keys are not velocity sensitive). That's really a flaw in the electronic construction. An urgent matter for the next generation!

Max

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post
    Well, the next time you pass through Lorain on I80/90, stop by we are only a mile or 2 north of the turnpike in north Amherst!

Again
    thanks for the musical birthday gift.

Bill
    Hi Bill,

Thanks so much for the invite and if we can ever hit your area during "Normal People Hours", would love to buy you a cup of coffee or possibly meet for a breakfast. We're heading west in the Fall and I'll PM you in advance to see if we can at least shake hands!

And you're welcome for the medley ... I'd been threatning myself to do this for a couple of years ever since I saw some forum post that it was you and Rich's b-days. Three days before your b-day this year I said, I'm doin' it THIS year! LOL

Frank

It goes w/o saying, if you or Rich and your families are ever in the NYC area, we are only 20 miles from 42nd st/heart of mid-town Manhattan ... you're always welcome!

Frank D'Erasmo

Go Back to forum