• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Debussy Piano/Vocal Demo

Debussy Piano/Vocal Demo

Here\'s a new demo using the Hamburg Steinway with a mezzo-soprano. The piece is Debussy\'s la Chevelure from Trois Chansons de Bilitis.

The Hall Noise sample was added to create the effect of a real recording from the Krannert Center\'s Foellinger Great Hall where the piano was recorded. You can hear it fade in and then out at the end!

Re: Debussy Piano/Vocal Demo

who is the vocalist..How did you record her?

Alan Russell

Hi Alan, yes I recorded her in my studio this week. Her name is Jori Jennings, a graduate student in voice at the U of I.

this is awesome!!! great composition....very very melencholic. i\'m in love with her voice...

Sorry Alan I misread your question, \"HOW\" did you record her! Real simple actually. We first recorded the piano (my wife played) as a MIDI track while Jori sung her part along, but I didn\'t record the vocals. We then went back and dubbed the vocals while the piano track played back through Sonar with Kontakt as a DXi. This way the piano part was done and we could just work with the vocals. Then it was just a matter of adding a little bit of reverb to her voice and mixing them together!

I used a stereo pair of AT-4033\'s to simulate a more \"live hall movement\" sound as opposed to one mic being panned to stereo. Does this answer your question?

Thanks Robin! I\'ll tell her you like her voice! If you know the words, it\'s actually quite a sexual piece. That dirty Debussy!

She must be big!!!

Isn\'t it \"It ain\'t over till the THIN lady sings\"? She\'s actually not big at all! I\'m sure she\'ll be thrilled to hear this! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

UK- teeming with life....

Brett, Is it a, commercially, good idea to limit your piano\'s exposure by choosing a piece like this? I think you could broaden your audience (and potential customers) by offering something with more popular appeal, initially. Just my tanner\'s worth.

I find this music form so hard to take that I\'m afraid I couldn\'t really concentrate on the piano nor listen to the end. Apologies for my common taste....Sorry.

It was interesting to me that the singing authenticates, and reminds me of, Bela D Media\'s Diva products.

Cologne, Germany

i think, it´s quite interesting to listen to this recording and style, cause you get an impression about the sustain of the samples, even when it´s played piano/pianissimo.
    ( i have a real Steinway B, that´s why these parameters are the most importants to me ).

anyway, i could hear some detuned samples. How that ?!?

1 Question: what about an EXS II release ?

Go Back to forum